Cured Chicken Ham Legs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
So I did my Chicken legs in a wet cure brine. Doing these for an other post but there has been some
talking about wet cure and dry cure. Just wanted to show how I did them and how they turned out.

1 1/2 tea Cure#1
1/3 cup kosher salt
1 packed cup dark brown sugar
1/4 ground cloves
3cups hot water, 3 cups cold water
Soaked for 34 hours in the brine , flipped every 12 hours or so in my cold fridge
DSC_4050.JPG

Removed from the brine, rinsed off, than dried and in fridge for 30 hours ( because had to work in yard )
DSC_4051.JPG
DSC_4054.JPG

In the smoker for 3 hours . Start at 225deg. for 1 1/2 hour than up to 275deg. for 1 1/2 hour

DSC_4055.JPG

The belly is for an other post also
DSC_4057.JPG

DSC_4059.JPG

DSC_4060.JPG

These are fantastic , had to slap Mona's hand to stay away from them , But we did share 1
DSC_4062.JPG

Thanks for looking , will post soon with what I am doing with these

David

Attachments

• DSC_4061.JPG
    DSC_4061.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 12
Those looks fantastic. I’ve done them with turkey legs but never chicken.

Thanks Jeff for the comment

They taste great , I always love the turkey legs ( when we went to Disney )
so I wanted to try the chicken as I had a few packs. I have a cook coming up maybe Sunday
that I need the chicken for.

David

Yep, look really good! And I could see the rack coming in handy. You would've had to slap my hand away also!

Ryan
Thanks Ryan for the like and the comment

Yes they were good and not too salty at all. First time I
used the rack. I like it.

If you meet Mona , you know I'm not really stupid enough to slap her hand and be around to talk about it. lol

David

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Thanks Ryan for the like and the comment

Yes they were good and not too salty at all. First time I
used the rack. I like it.

If you meet Mona , you know I'm not really stupid enough to slap her hand and be around to talk about it. lol

David
Yes, I know this! I've seen pics of her cutting up bait! :emoji_laughing:
I wouldn't go to any lakes named Lake Placid!

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
I've been doing them like that over the last month or so . Those look great , and came out perfect .
I've been pulling the tendons after they're cooked . Makes a big difference if you're eating them on the bone .
Nice work .

Beautiful Job, David!!
I could get rid of a few of them for you!!
I always Dry Cured my Bacons & Dried Beef, but I always said if I ever get around to Curing Chicken Parts, I would use a Wet Cure, like Pops or like what you just did. Nobody would want to Dry cure all those little pieces!
Dang those look Tasty!

Those look incredible! Beautiful color all around and juicy! Man, I even saw a new toy I need to hand the drums. Great work!

I've been doing them like that over the last month or so . Those look great , and came out perfect .
I've been pulling the tendons after they're cooked . Makes a big difference if you're eating them on the bone .
Nice work .

Thanks Rich for the comment
I have seen the tendons pulled lately on a different recipes . I might try that . Most of these are for a meal that I am doing later. But I want to see if I can remove the tendons also. Seen it done for Lollipop drums

Yes thanks these came out really good and ham like, pink all the way through

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky