Corned beef question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Cabo

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 10, 2019
Clearwater Florida
I have a couple of those Grobbels corned beef briskets that I plan to smoke this weekend. These are the ones that say "60% lower sodium".
Besides washing off the brine, do I also need to soak them to get rid of more salt?
What about the seasoning packet that is included? Should I apply it like a rub or use something else?
I think it was TNJAKE TNJAKE that said he has made a few of these. Thanks for any suggestions.

I’ve made 5-6 of them. I’d still soak it in ice water for about an hour, switching the water a few times and not use a rub with salt in it. The 60% lower sodium is still salty as hell if you don’t soak it.

Reactions: Cabo and MJB05615
I would soak them if you're really concerned with the salt. I saw some at Meijer this morning that said Lower Sodium and got excited, but when I checked the label they still estimated 750mg per "serving".

I had one last week as corned beef. I didn't rinse it. And it was fine. But you're not hurting anything by rinsing it off. I'm going to grab a few of the flats for pastrami. For me, I just rub them with a blend of coriander and course ground pepper.

If your boiling it with cabbage, carrots and potatoes then there isn't any reason to pre-soak. The cooking process will draw the salt out and it will be distributed into the veggies and the cooking water. If your smoking it for pastrami then you'll need to soak.

Chris

To be honest. I really don't think you'll need to with this brand. But I'll know when I do one in the near future.

I use those grobbels ones often. I do a 4hr soak in ice water and change it out every hour. Works out perfectly for me for pastrami. If going for corned beef then I agree with gmc2003 gmc2003

Reactions: chazman24
Toss the Seasoning it comes with and try this...JJ

Better 'en NY Pastrami Rub

2T Turbinado Sugar
2T Black Peppercorns
1T Coriander Seed
1T Dill Seed
1T Dry Minced Onion
1T Dry Minced Garlic
1tsp Allspice Berries
1tsp Mustard Seed
1tsp Dry Thyme Leaves
3 Bay Leaves, crumbled
1tsp Juniper Berries

All Spices are Whole and were toasted in a dry pan over Medium heat until fragrant.
Let the Spices cool then Grind in a cheapo Coffee Grinder until slightly less than Coarse. The Garlic and Onion do not need to be toasted. If grinding do so only slightly as the Minced size is pretty close to perfect for Pastrami.

This was some some seriously Good Eats...Enjoy...JJ

Thanks for that JJ I just bookmarked your recipe.
I'm a Pastrami freak, I eat it at least once a week year round.
Dan

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Where do you guys buy your spices? I look at a lot of recipes on here and some call for spices that I just can't find around me such as juniper berries or whole allspice.

Everything but the Juniper, is available at Walmart. The Juniper and other spices, including a large assortment of Whole and Ground Chiles, I buy from Spicesinc.com...JJ

BTW...Can't easily find Juniper? Skip it! It adds nice aroma and flavor but not critical as is the Black Pepper and Coriander.☺

Everything but the Juniper, is available at Walmart. The Juniper and other spices, including a large assortment of Whole and Ground Chiles, I buy from Spicesinc.com...JJ

BTW...Can't easily find Juniper? Skip it! It adds nice aroma and flavor but not critical as us the Black Pepper and Coriander.☺
Every time I go to a Walmart, their spice section is either dominated by premixed blends for BBQ, chicken, or whatever else, or is wiped out with the exception of 25 varieties/combinations of pink salt and some black pepper. I can definitely tell what the current fad is as there will be almost a whole shelf dedicated to it. I did manage to find a small pack of Juniper berries at World Market, but whole Allspice is non-existent in South Carolina, but I do have ground Allspice, though. I have a cheap Krups coffee/spice grinder that I've mostly used for whole beans. But I'll see if it will grind spices, it's supposed to.

Ground Allspice will be fine. Use 1/2 teaspoon in the recipe...JJ

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Interesting place just up the road from me. Both sales and classes.
Have whole Allspice, but no Juniper berries.

Interesting place just up the road from me. Both sales and classes.
Have whole Allspice, but no Juniper berries.

I can send you some Juniper berries if you wish.

Reactions: forktender
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky