Corned beef into Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

danbono

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 19, 2012
North New Jersey Paramus
Hi All I was thinking with corned beef going on sale, for St padddy's day,what is the best way to turn it into Pastrami
Thanks Dan

Good morning Dan. I was thinking of trying to do the same today. I’m thinking a good soak to remove some salt and then black pepper and coriander was recommended to me last night. I will be watching to see how yours turns out.

The biggest taste modifier that I fine missing from corned beef to pastrami other than smoke is the juniper berries. I just don't believe it can be called pastrami without juniper berries. Like chili powder is to a pot of chili.

And yes folks around here buy lots of corned beef cryo-pacs the first couple a times. But then you'll attempt some of your own corned beef/pastrami and like bacon you'll wonder why no one told you about this as a kid. You'll be spoiled for life. Seems I saw BDSkelly getting his set up awhile back for this year. Its not a load of work, just pre-thought and patience.

Reactions: 73saint
Soak the meat a couple hours if you wish. I have had some that were really salty and some that were good to go from the package. The thread below is what I have used for the last couple of years, With the Juniper. It is kind of a cross between NY and Montreal Style. Real tasty, especially when the Corned Point is Fatty like in the pics. It fried up like Beef Bacon...JJ

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/corned-point-to-pastrami.121220/

Reactions: BigTurtle
Soak the meat a couple hours if you wish. I have had some that were really salty and some that were good to go from the package. The thread below is what I have used for the last couple of years, With the Juniper. It is kind of a cross between NY and Montreal Style. Real tasty, especially when the Corned Point is Fatty like in the pics. It fried up like Beef Bacon...JJ

Thx for that. Got pig on smoking right now but I already have the juniper berries that I can grind and all the other spices. Appreciate the link.

Love those Juniper Berry's ......

Gary

I have used your pastrami rub, it is excellent.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Hey All, I'm doing the same here with a store bought corned beef - $1.89/lb is hard to pass up - :emoji_astonished: I have two flats, 3.2 and 3.6 lbs. Should I completely remove the fat cap? It's not real thick on these, less than a 1/4" and very even across. Have then soaking now, will rinse late tonight, rub and into the reefer till Thursday morning. I wanted to smoke Friday but the weather is looking crappy.

1/4 inch leave it on, and enjoy.

Chris

Sales are hit or miss. In the stores I have shopped the last 5 years, Corned Beef went on sale once. I have heard stories of $.99/lb sales after the holiday, just no where I lived. Locally they put the Corned Beef at $2.99 for Points, my preference, and ;$3.99 for Flats. These are a $1 off the normal price during the year. The store makes money on all the other odds and ends folks by coming in for their on sale Corned Beef...JJ

I soaked mine overnight - might have been 24 hours and that was just enough. next time I will soak longer for less salt.

Where can I get juniper berries??? NM - Amazon has them of course.

I bought two flats on sale a Kroger this week! cant wait.

If your Kroger is in a populated area, they may have them. Virtually any online Spice shop like Myspicesage, SpicesInc, SpicesEtc, will carry them. Don't go crazy! 1oz is A LOT and they do lose their flavor in a year of storage...JJ

I have found Kroger in SLC to be a big let down when it comes to anything out of the ordinary. I dont even look their for stuff like this. its sad, but all i can figure is there is little demand here [trying to say that without offending anyone from here - to be clear we live here not from here ;) ]. Amazon will have me a small jar by Friday.

I soaked mine overnight - might have been 24 hours and that was just enough. next time I will soak longer for less salt.

Where can I get juniper berries??? NM - Amazon has them of course.

I bought two flats on sale a Kroger this week! cant wait.
I looked all over our small city for juniper berries, then I tried the health food store. They had them. In a bulk bin. Buy whatever you needed.

I looked all over our small city for juniper berries, then I tried the health food store. They had them. In a bulk bin. Buy whatever you needed.
X2 on the health food store. I needed some one time and didn't want to wait for them to ship and that was the only place in town I could find them. The price was reasonable too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky