Corned beef from the freezer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DougCA

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 14, 2018
Hey everyone,

I took a package of corned beef out of the freezer today to slow cook later this week. The packaging is expanding which concerns me and leads me to believe this meat is bad.

i had another corned beef in the freezer which was bought at the same time post st. Pats last year (use by dates are the same 5/21) and the packaging is fine.

I plan to toss the expanding one but wanted to see if this happens with frozen corned beef. I have never experienced it with frozen meat. I can only guess it was subtly expanding when I put it in the freezer. Video below.

Reactions: JLeonard
Possibly a pinhole in the package, or maybe it's like the ones I saw at the store the other day. They had an excessive amount of the brine water in the package.

Just my guesses.

Chris

Reactions: TNJAKE
I had to toss couple but they where in freezer couple years. I have read this about high salt content:

You also want to make sure that the meat does not have any added salt. Salt in the packaging will draw out moisture and will oxidize the meat fat, giving it a rancid flavor and shortening the period the meat can be left in the freezer. Therefore any meat that is further processed, or contains added salt will stay fresh for a shorter amount of time in the freezer.

daveomak daveomak may know something about this?

it is still frozen. I plan to toss it since I the other one that was bought at the same time looks fine, so something is amiss. Just was wondering what would cause this. I know when I bought these they went straight into the freezer so they didn't sit in the fridge past the use by date and have an opportunity to expand. It definitely expanded post freeze.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky