Confused???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

muscleoverimport69

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 8, 2008
Do you just put the chips in the foil or pan or whatever you use and place them on the coals. How do you maintain a consistent temp. Do you just keep adding wood. I am completely new to smoking and am having some trouble. THanks for the replies. Chad

Take the E course to get the basics first.
biggrin.gif

Chad what kind of smoker are you using?

I just read the first course so im waiting till tommorow to see what it says. We have a Char-Griller with the Smoke pit on the side

Sounds like you have the same smoker I do if it is the small 244sq. in. model. I love this smoker. Regarding temps, you have to check it pretty often to maintain temps within your desired range. This means opening and closing the dampers on the firebox and the smoke stack little by little to get your temp. The Minion method works really well for burning your coals. (Info is part of the e-course).

Also, you have to make the mods to the unit to really improve your chances of a good smoke: I think the most important are: 1) shielding the opening of the firebox, 2) extending the smokestack down into the smoke chamber, and 3) removing and stomping on the thermometer that came with your smoker. (The mods instructions didn't exactly say to stomp on that thermometer, but you get the idea).

The mods can be found here in the forum.

Here's what I have done: I have bought 2 10"x10" galvanized shingles from Home Depot and sandwiched a piece of fireproof gasket material between them (bought from Napa Auto Parts) to shield the firebox. I put a curve in them and screwed them to the same holes across the top of where the firebox attaches to the smoke chamber.

I have used aluminum sheeting, also from HD in the roofing department right next to the galvanized shingles, to extend the smokestack downwards.

And I've gotten a probe thermometer from Target to measure the temp of the cooking chamber. (Drill a hole in a piece of wood that the thermometer probe can fit loosely in).

I put a chunk of soaked wood right on top of the coals about once an hour to maintain a thin smoke.

With these mods I can maintain a temp around 200' for hours.

I've had this type of smoker, only the larger version and I find this small one works just as well and suits my smaller brood now that kids have moved out and I've downsized to a townhouse.

The only drawback to a townhouse is the neighbors are so close I always have to give them some bbq to make up for all the smoke I make. Small sacrifice though.

Good luck!

I did. To block the heat from the fire. Is that bad? Its not touching any food. I also have more aluminum.

It's not a good idea to use galvinzed metal, I've been told when it gets hot it releases some nasties. I've always played it safe and bought big sheet pans and cut them up and used them in my smoker.

Hmm you saying you have galv. sheeting as a heat/smoke deflector right at the firebox output into the grill?

If so, you'll want to remove that ASAP. The temps in that area can exceed the 'gassing" point of the galv. and dump heavy metal vapors and cyanide I believe- into the smoke.

Also, there is really no need to soak the wood. Try using smaller chunks. But it don't matter much. Just that much longer till ya get smoke instead of steam.

On Edit: Heh guess I din't read the other reponses first. Figgered I better point this out ASAP before the next smoke ;{)

lemme jump in with my .02 worth.If at all possible use stainless steel .Costs more but way safer!We need all of our members alive here!

Where is this mod at?? Interesting, non gal of course but wanted to know more about it? Are you talking a baffle or a shield. Did someone post this mod? Cant find it.
icon_rolleyes.gif

I always heard from my welder buddies that galvanized was some nasty stuff to work with. I also noticed the mod call for non-galvanized steel.

2. One piece of unpainted, non-galvanized 22 to 16 gauge light steel for the baffle.

I would diffenently remove anything that has the potential for off-gasing in my smoker.

This came from the link Surfaday posted.
1. One roll of aluminum flashing for the chimney.
2. One piece of unpainted, non-galvanized 22 to 16 gauge light steel for the baffle.
3. Pipe plug or metal cap to fill the thermometer hole.
4. If you don’t have one, you will need either a 3/4″ drill bit or a 3/4″ hole cutter.

In item 2 the key words are unpainted and non-galvanized.

Ok, I get it, I get it. I'm glad I mentioned it so now I know. Sorry. No galvanized. I should edit my post. :0 Seriously. I'm glad to know. Now where can I find some steel?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky