Chocolate Overload Cheesecake - Rich & Satisfying

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

I made it Smoking B! It is in my refrigerator till 2moro. I will make the topping then for it. I tasted the batter it had a wonderful taste cant wait!!! :) :)
Cool 
icon_mrgreen.gif
  Enjoy! 
2thumbs.gif

Your cheesecake is incredible Smoking B! I got a crack across the top of mine but the topping covered it up :) My bf likes it too :) I ate so much I thought I would throw up but it was so worth it! Thank you again! :)

Your cheesecake is incredible Smoking B! I got a crack across the top of mine but the topping covered it up :) My bf likes it too :) I ate so much I thought I would throw up but it was so worth it! Thank you again! :)
I'm glad you like it Tonya! 
smile.gif
  Did you run a knife around the edge after you took it out of the oven?

Reactions: tonyabeachlover
This is on my wife's list for next weekend as I am not a baker at all. Thank you for sharing!

No I didn't run a knife around it! DUH!!! I totally forgot to! I bet that's why it cracked!!! Thanks Smoking B the cheesecake was awesome!

This turned out really well!  Especially considering that it was my first adventure into cooking cheesecake.  Followed the recipe to the "T" except I used a few more Oreo's and sprinkled some chopped roasted almonds on top.

This is very good stuff, however, a little goes a long way.  I'll have to share with my choco-holic mom-in-law.  She will love it.

Here's what I ended up with.  No cracks either - beginners luck.  It looked good cut as well, but my picture was fuzzy so I didn't include it.

We had one of our neighbors over for ribs.  She loved the cheese cake as well.

I'm pretty proud of my cheesecakes and I see some similarities in my recipes and this.  One thing I have done for a long time to help prevent cracks is to bake with the pan sitting about 1/3 of the way in a larger pan of water.  With a springform you need to seal the pan in foil or something similar.  I fill the larger pan with boiling water and then put the springform in and start baking.

Another tip:  Instead of running a knife around the pan, line the pan with parchment paper.  A circle on the bottom and a strip around the side makes it pop right out.

Last edited:

I'm pretty proud of my cheesecakes and I see some similarities in my recipes and this.  One thing I have done for a long time to help prevent cracks is to bake with the pan sitting about 1/3 of the way in a larger pan of water.  With a springform you need to seal the pan in foil or something similar.  I fill the larger pan with boiling water and then put the springform in and start baking.

Another tip:  Instead of running a knife around the pan, line the pan with parchment paper.  A circle on the bottom and a strip around the side makes it pop right out.
Thanks for the tips 
beercheer.gif
   I've messed with this enough over time though & made enough of these cheesecakes to know that there is no need for a water pan if you follow my directions. I know a lot of people use them for other cheesecake recipes but to me it's just extra work with mine - nobody I know that follows my recipe has any trouble with cracks.
thumb1.gif

I've tried the parchment paper in the past too but it is much quicker & easier for me to just run a knife around it versus cutting the paper to size & making sure it stays where it needs when filling the pan...

Enjoy making cheesecakes man - they are a great treat! 
beercheer.gif

This turned out really well!  Especially considering that it was my first adventure into cooking cheesecake.  Followed the recipe to the "T" except I used a few more Oreo's and sprinkled some chopped roasted almonds on top.

This is very good stuff, however, a little goes a long way.  I'll have to share with my choco-holic mom-in-law.  She will love it.

Here's what I ended up with.  No cracks either - beginners luck.  It looked good cut as well, but my picture was fuzzy so I didn't include it.

We had one of our neighbors over for ribs.  She loved the cheese cake as well.
Nice looking cheesecake man 
2thumbs.gif
  If you follow my recipe closely you don't have to worry about getting cracks 
icon_mrgreen.gif
  & yes it is a very rich & satisfying dessert - glad you enjoyed it 
beercheer.gif

I've messed with this enough over time though & made enough of these cheesecakes to know that there is no need for a water pan if you follow my directions. I know a lot of people use them for other cheesecake recipes but to me it's just extra work with mine - nobody I know that follows my recipe has any trouble with cracks. 
I make mine almost exactly as you do - probably no need for the water but it's one of those things I've always done, it's how I learned, so why change?  Sorta like all that reading about a water pan in a smoker I guess.  Some folks say your smoker will roll away and flip you off if you don't use one, some folks say they never do.  
biggrin.gif

I've tried the parchment paper in the past too but it is much quicker & easier for me to just run a knife around it versus cutting the paper to size & making sure it stays where it needs when filling the pan.
I started doing that because the best knife I had to get around the pan scratched the non-stick coating.  There's been a lot of cakes made without non-stick coating for sure so that's something I put on myself.  Maybe I was fixing a problem that did not exist but man it sure comes out easy.  More work than a knife?  Probably.  It takes some time (mostly waiting) to make a good cheesecake so I hesitate to change what works for me.  Of course the "mistakes" always taste good.

Ever messed with crème fraîche in your cake?  I use that with excellent results.  (not trying to take away anything you shared here, just conversing. 
439.gif
 )

I make mine almost exactly as you do - probably no need for the water but it's one of those things I've always done, it's how I learned, so why change?  Sorta like all that reading about a water pan in a smoker I guess.  Some folks say your smoker will roll away and flip you off if you don't use one, some folks say they never do.  
biggrin.gif

I started doing that because the best knife I had to get around the pan scratched the non-stick coating.  There's been a lot of cakes made without non-stick coating for sure so that's something I put on myself.  Maybe I was fixing a problem that did not exist but man it sure comes out easy.  More work than a knife?  Probably.  It takes some time (mostly waiting) to make a good cheesecake so I hesitate to change what works for me.  Of course the "mistakes" always taste good.

Ever messed with crème fraîche in your cake?  I use that with excellent results.  (not trying to take away anything you shared here, just conversing. 
439.gif
 )
Yeah I understand where you're coming from - over time I just eliminated all the unnecessary things to make it as efficient as possible for me - this is where I am at as of now...

I make some from time to time to use but I don't use it as often in my chocolate cheesecakes as I do in some of my other ones.

Oh dang it Jeremy. As if I don't have enough desserts the extended family goes crazy over, now I've got to add this one. And small confession - in all my 32 years I've never made a cheesecake! :icon_redface: Can't wait to give it a try.

Oh dang it Jeremy. As if I don't have enough desserts the extended family goes crazy over, now I've got to add this one. And small confession - in all my 32 years I've never made a cheesecake!
icon_redface.gif
Can't wait to give it a try.
Lol don't worry - I've eliminated all the "fluff" from this recipe - if you follow it fairly close you will be surprised how easy it is to make a great cheesecake. Then you can let everyone think you've been making them for ages 
biggrin.gif
  Enjoy the cheesecake & let me know what you think of it after you try it 
beercheer.gif

Lol don't worry - I've eliminated all the "fluff" from this recipe - if you follow it fairly close you will be surprised how easy it is to make a great cheesecake. Then you can let everyone think you've been making them for ages  :biggrin:   Enjoy the cheesecake & let me know what you think of it after you try it  :beercheer:

I got quite a few cake/cakeballs orders for clients this weekend, but will def be down to trying it out after memorial day. Thanks again!

My wife has this in the oven now for tomorrow. I will let you know how it turns out Smoking B.

Your cheesecake was a great success Smoking B. My wife was nervous but followed your recipe exactly and it turned out perfect. She got several compliments too. Thank you from both of us!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky