Tribute to Grandma....Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Use to make these every year around Thanksgiving with my Grandma. Nothing special about the recipe, it's the one on the back of Nestle' semi-sweet chocolate morsels. She nurtured my love for cooking at a young age and I was always in the kitchen learning from her when I came to visit. Been baking these cookies once a year ever since she's gone. The smell of chocolate cookies baking is about the one sure thing that gets me in the holiday mood.

After whipping the butter, and sugar, time to add the vanilla. I use some vintage homemade vanilla. This stuff is 8 years old and top shelf!
IMG_20231125_233659.jpg

After whipping in the eggs, then flour, time for the chocolate chips...
IMG_20231125_234914.jpg

And the toasted pecans...
IMG_20231125_235021.jpg

And 5 dozen cookies done....
IMG_20231126_012126.jpg

Killer! My mom made those as well. I would eat as many as I could get away with as they hit the cooling rack before I was run out of the house.

Reactions: chilerelleno
Back demon!! Lol! These are my favorite cookie too. My aunt used to make with pecans from the tree in her backyard. Yours look amazing!

Reactions: chilerelleno
My grandmother did these. Then rolled into logs wrapped in wax paper and kept in chest freezer. Then you just sliced off rounds and cooked. Me and my sister would sneak and get them to eat raw.

Use to make these every year around Thanksgiving with my Grandma. Nothing special about the recipe, it's the one on the back of Nestle' semi-sweet chocolate morsels. She nurtured my love for cooking at a young age and I was always in the kitchen learning from her when I came to visit. Been baking these cookies once a year ever since she's gone. The smell of chocolate cookies baking is about the one sure thing that gets me in the holiday mood.

After whipping the butter, and sugar, time to add the vanilla. I use some vintage homemade vanilla. This stuff is 8 years old and top shelf!
View attachment 681933

After whipping in the eggs, then flour, time for the chocolate chips...
View attachment 681934

And the toasted pecans...
View attachment 681935

And 5 dozen cookies done....
View attachment 681936
That looks awesome!

Are you using fresh Pecans or store bought?
It blows my mind how a store bought Pecan tastes so hollow and so little like a fresh Pecan. I have no idea how that happens.
Thank goodness we live in Pecan growing country.

Great work!

Don't have such memories with Grandmother. She had pretty much hung up her apron by the time I was old enough to see over the counter top.
My mother on the other hand was a baking machine. Never appreciated home baked bread growing up when most of the other kids were eating store bought.
My children have afghans from her that are carefully kept in sealed bags. They open them now and then to smell Grandma's house. The power of a memory.

Reactions: crazymoon
Killer! My mom made those as well. I would eat as many as I could get away with as they hit the cooling rack before I was run out of the house.
LOL! Thanks mr.whipple! I would do the same thing....eat a cookie while she was not looking....but she always knew! Could not hide anything from her!

Back demon!! Lol! These are my favorite cookie too. My aunt used to make with pecans from the tree in her backyard. Yours look amazing!
LOL! Yep. pretty much my favorite cookie too. And fresh pecans! Gotta have fresh pecans!

Oh Hell Yeah!
Where's the milk?
Thanks Chile! LOL! Still in the fridge at the time of the pic.....

Nice , those look wonderful.

And I love me some sweets , and those would go with ny tea right now.

David
Thanks David!

My grandmother did these. Then rolled into logs wrapped in wax paper and kept in chest freezer. Then you just sliced off rounds and cooked. Me and my sister would sneak and get them to eat raw.
Thanks Jim! Cool idea! But then I'd be making these way more than once a year! LOL!

Just 5 dozen? A gallon of ice cold milk and I’d be a fat happy boy!

Jim
LOL! Thanks Jim!

I've seen that recipe, never done but I will now. Those look really good.
Thanks Winterrider, it's a good one.

That looks awesome!

Are you using fresh Pecans or store bought?
It blows my mind how a store bought Pecan tastes so hollow and so little like a fresh Pecan. I have no idea how that happens.
Thank goodness we live in Pecan growing country.

Great work!
Thanks tallbm, these were fresh pecans off my sister's pecan trees in her yard.

Don't have such memories with Grandmother. She had pretty much hung up her apron by the time I was old enough to see over the counter top.
My mother on the other hand was a baking machine. Never appreciated home baked bread growing up when most of the other kids were eating store bought.
My children have afghans from her that are carefully kept in sealed bags. They open them now and then to smell Grandma's house. The power of a memory.
Nice! I have a box of some of my Grandpa's stuff....it smells like his old truck.

Memory recall those and peanut butter cookies were a holiday treat at our house.

Point for sure
Chris

Buy a 750mL bottle of clear distilled spirits(vodka, rum, etc.). Use one with a very clean flavor- not spiced. Use a bottle that has a press in cork top, not a screw top. Pour the bottle out into a large measuring cup and reserve.
16 vanilla beans (or more) split, scraped; then add both the scrapings and the bean hull to the jar. pour the spirit back into the bottle to within 1/2" or so to the bottom of where the cork top fits. Cap and shake. Gently shake every day for a month and it will be ready to use in 6 months.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky