Chicken Wings?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ty520

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 25, 2021
Any tips on smoking chicken wings, and making sure they're cooked, but not dry since using a temp probe isn't practical?

HAHAHHA yeah bud we need some details.. A general answer would be smoke till almost done then do hot for a short bit to crisp skin. You're gonna need an instant thermometer to get it close to right or skill and luck lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a masterbuilt digital smoker using chips. Just concerned about time and temperature. Not sure if i could get an accurate reading with my temp probe on such little cuts?

I usually do a two step approach to wings. I smoke for two hours at 225, then grill them at 400-450 or so for 5-ish minutes to crisp the skin up. As long as your wings aren't frozen they'll be plenty done there. These wings are always a hit.

If you are using an MES you can do your first two hours in there, and if you have access to a gas grill you can use that to crisp.

Here's some pics of wings I have done this method. The first two pics I had to dig for, but they are on my old WSM that doesn't get to grill temps. For these I smoked on the WSM then seared on the gasser. The third and fourth pics are from the gravity smoker, since that has a good temp range I do both the smoking and grilling on that.

WSM / Gasser:

IMG_0228.jpeg IMG_0229.jpeg

Gravity Smoker:
IMG_0640.jpeg IMG_0642.jpeg

I usually do a two step approach to wings. I smoke for two hours at 225, then grill them at 400-450 or so for 5-ish minutes to crisp the skin up. As long as your wings aren't frozen they'll be plenty done there. These wings are always a hit.

If you are using an MES you can do your first two hours in there, and if you have access to a gas grill you can use that to crisp.

Here's some pics of wings I have done this method. The first two pics I had to dig for, but they are on my old WSM that doesn't get to grill temps. For these I smoked on the WSM then seared on the gasser. The third and fourth pics are from the gravity smoker, since that has a good temp range I do both the smoking and grilling on that.

WSM / Gasser:

View attachment 627044View attachment 627047

Gravity Smoker:
View attachment 627046View attachment 627045

Just the kind of productive, non sarcastic info i was looking for :-)

Just the kind of productive, non sarcastic info i was looking for :-)
Happy to help however I can.

Also, if you don't have a gasser or charcoal grill you could use an air fryer to crisp them. Worst case would be to use the broiler in your oven, but I don't know how that would turn out.

Reactions: 912smoker
Just a masterbuilt digital smoker using chips. Just concerned about time and temperature. Not sure if i could get an accurate reading with my temp probe on such little cuts?
T Ty520

When I used my Masterbuilt I found it frustrating because the skin would always come out rubbery. Thus the second step of using a gas or charcoal grill as mentioned above. After several attempts using different temperature ranges I finally gave up and bought a Vortex for my Weber Kettle Grill and never looked back.

If you own a kettle grill seriously look into a Vortex. Huge difference in time, frustration, effort, and results.

There are lot of posts regarding the use of a Vortex in the Poultry Section. The one I use exclusively with consistent results is the one I have posted in my Signature under: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/vortex-buffalo-wings-take-5.301638/

I hope this helps and Good Luck,

John

Last edited:
Reactions: clifish
T Ty520

When I used my Masterbuilt I found it frustrating because the skin would always come out rubbery. Thus the second step of using a gas or charcoal grill as mentioned above. After several attempts using different temperature ranges I finally gave up and bought a Vortex for my Weber Kettle Grill and never looked back.

If you own a kettle grill seriously look into a Vortex. Huge difference in time, frustration, effort, and results.

There are lot of posts regarding the use of a Vortex in the Poultry Section. The one I use exclusively with consistent results is the one I have posted in my Signature under: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/vortex-buffalo-wings-take-5.301638/

I hope this helps and Good Luck,

John
Going to try this, do you think the same technique (steam/smoke) could be applied to drum stick?

Going to try this, do you think the same technique (steam/smoke) could be applied to drum stick?
Absolutely,

The steaming of the wings/ drum sticks will lessen the amount of oil in the chicken's skin thus giving you crispy skin when the vortex does it thing. In the post I mentioned that I refrigerate for at least two hours but sometimes I will refrigerate overnight.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: clifish
Absolutely,

The steaming of the wings/ drum sticks will lessen the amount of oil in the chicken's skin thus giving you crispy skin when the vortex does it thing. In the post I mentioned that I refrigerate for at least two hours but a lot of times I will refrigerate overnight.

John
Nice, I want to try it this way as opposed to my first smoke using the snake method...need the weather to cooperate first been a ton of rain lately causing a delay in cooking your Σουβλάκια. . .Souvlakia cook, hopefully doing it on Sunday

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky