Chicken Thighs (Hickory Smoked)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Thanks for the post, I'll be making these on Sunday!
Sorry I missed this & Thank You!!

Hope it worked good for you!!!

Bear

good looking spread bear, AS USUAL.
Thanks a Bunch, Danny!!

Bear

Hi Bear - how come you increase the temp from 225 to 250 to 275 etc?  Thanks.
The 225° was just to give it a little more time smoking.

The 275° at the end was to help tighten up the Chicken Skin & to finish the Taters.

Bear

Looks awesome Bear! I'm gonna try these this week with my first ever smoke!

Quick question... Did you rub under the skin as well or just on top?

I've grilled with skin on and had poor results with the rub flavor.. Seems like the most impenetrable surface on the planet is chicken skin...

Looks awesome Bear! I'm gonna try these this week with my first ever smoke!

Quick question... Did you rub under the skin as well or just on top?

I've grilled with skin on and had poor results with the rub flavor.. Seems like the most impenetrable surface on the planet is chicken skin...
Thank You Brad !!

Nothing under the Skin.

I just coated these with Olive Oil, and then a generous amount of Rub (Completely covered, but not overly thick).

And Thanks for the Points!

Bear

Mmm Mmm Bear.  Chicken is probably my favorite meat because it's so versatile.  And thighs have more meat than legs so they get really good.  I'm making some this afternoon just like yours! 

Mmm Mmm Bear.  Chicken is probably my favorite meat because it's so versatile.  And thighs have more meat than legs so they get really good.  I'm making some this afternoon just like yours! 
That's Great, Sharon!!
icon14.gif

Hope you like it !!
drool.gif

Bear

Hey Bear, glad to see your still smokin" them thighs! One of my favorites and makes me think I need to smoke up a batch for next weeks camping/fishing trip!

Hope your doing well sir :)

Hey Bear, glad to see your still smokin" them thighs! One of my favorites and makes me think I need to smoke up a batch for next weeks camping/fishing trip!

Hope your doing well sir :)
Thank You Dick!!

Still kicking----Weather's getting better now---Might be doing more smoking soon.

Have another Great camping trip!!  You might need some Unstuffed Beef Sticks!!

Bear

Bear,

One of the things we do like is chicken.  One of the things I don't normally do well on the grill or my WSM is chicken.  But now that I have a MB 40 I decided to try your recipe for chicken thighs.  Like you I like the thighs because they are more flavorful and juicy.  I followed your steps pretty much to a tee:

Thighs prepped and lined up like good little soldiers.

Finished product.  Two thighs, twice baked potato with homemade bacon, and smoked cheddar and turnip greens. Nice!  Very juicy and flavorful chicken.  Whole family loved it and I have plenty for work lunches for the week.

Things I will do different next round.  

1. I will switch dry rubs.  I used my rub for ribs this time and while it was very good, it was a bit powerful.  Will use a dedicated chicken rub next time. 

2. Skin was a bit tough.  Next time I will apply the rub under the skin and let the thighs sit uncovered in the frisge overnight like I do for the turkey.  This should crisp the skin right up. 

Bear,

One of the things we do like is chicken.  One of the things I don't normally do well on the grill or my WSM is chicken.  But now that I have a MB 40 I decided to try your recipe for chicken thighs.  Like you I like the thighs because they are more flavorful and juicy.  I followed your steps pretty much to a tee:

Thighs prepped and lined up like good little soldiers.

Finished product.  Two thighs, twice baked potato with homemade bacon, and smoked cheddar and turnip greens. Nice!  Very juicy and flavorful chicken.  Whole family loved it and I have plenty for work lunches for the week.

Things I will do different next round.  

1. I will switch dry rubs.  I used my rub for ribs this time and while it was very good, it was a bit powerful.  Will use a dedicated chicken rub next time. 

2. Skin was a bit tough.  Next time I will apply the rub under the skin and let the thighs sit uncovered in the frisge overnight like I do for the turkey.  This should crisp the skin right up. 
Looks Great Slotown!!
drool.gif

If the 275° temp at the end, and your other ideas don't help the skin for you, a few minutes on a Hot Grill, or a torch can make them crispier for you.

BTW:  You didn't have Water in your pan, did you?

Bear

Last edited:
No water in the smoker.  I'm going to add a few breasts on a separate rack next time as well.  I good juicy breast has always eluded me on the grill.  But I think I can do that now as well with a dedicated probe.

Bear,
I feel like you were with me in spirit today. I smoked 10 pounds of chicken quarters, and I didn't find any directions that I was comfortable following. I did NOT see this thread for some reason...even though I have your index bookmarked.

But... I tried to kinda go by memory of the pork butt process. (Well, I mean, the factory reading temps I needed to use to hit the meat temps in MY smoker). First I started out at 225 for a couple hours, then 250 for about an hour, and 275 until I got Chicken to a temp of close to 180. Put them in foil pan, wrapped with foil and put back in smoker. I am not sure what temp it went to, but, it was in for about 30 minutes, before I set the temp back to 100 degrees. Left in for 45 minutes.

They are very smokey..(FINALLY!). I am still gonna buy the AMNPS.... But, happy to get the flavor. Chicken is still juicy, and pulls off the bone nicely. It doesn't Fall off the bone, but... Very delicious.

Now that I look at this thread, I wasn't too far off your thigh process. ( a ways off..but not as far as I thought I might be off.....hahaha)... That is why I say I must have been channeling you, hA. I am pretty sure yours would turn out better... But, these will work for me.

Last edited:
Bear,
I feel like you were with me in spirit today. I smoked 10 pounds of chicken quarters, and I didn't find any directions that I was comfortable following. I did NOT see this thread for some reason...even though I have your index bookmarked.

But... I tried to kinda go by memory of the pork butt process. (Well, I mean, the factory reading temps I needed to use to hit the meat temps in MY smoker). First I started out at 225 for a couple hours, then 250 for about an hour, and 275 until I got Chicken to a temp of close to 180. Put them in foil pan, wrapped with foil and put back in smoker. I am not sure what temp it went to, but, it was in for about 30 minutes, before I set the temp back to 100 degrees. Left in for 45 minutes.

They are very smokey..(FINALLY!). I am still gonna buy the AMNPS.... But, happy to get the flavor. Chicken is still juicy, and pulls off the bone nicely. It doesn't Fall off the bone, but... Very delicious.

Now that I look at this thread, I wasn't too far off your thigh process. ( a ways off..but not as far as I thought I might be off.....hahaha)... That is why I say I must have been channeling you, hA. I am pretty sure yours would turn out better... But, these will work for me.

Yours look Great !!

Now I feel a little bad, because I noticed your comment on the other Thread, where you mentioned you got 10 pounds of Chicken Parts, and I didn't leave you with my Link to this Thigh Thread.

I didn't leave it because sometimes I think people might think I'm being pushy by dropping too many links to my "Step by Steps".

Guess I should have left this one that time.

At least you didn't lose a Thigh like I did on this one!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky