Chicken Thighs (Hickory Smoked)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yours look Great !!
Now I feel a little bad, because I noticed your comment on the other Thread, where you mentioned you got 10 pounds of Chicken Parts, and I didn't leave you with my Link to this Thigh Thread.
I didn't leave it because sometimes I think people might think I'm being pushy by dropping too many links to my "Step by Steps".
Guess I should have left this one that time.

At least you didn't lose a Thigh like I did on this one!!

Bear

Not a problem at all... And I will ALWAYS be happy to take any advice/recipes/processes you provide. I did look thru your step by steps again just now...and will definitely be using them going forward. Thanks for all that work you have done for so many others.

I will say this for any newby like me who is curious about skin off or on. Personally, the ones I smoked without skin were just as juicy as the ones with skin. The skin was actually very thin after the cook, and wasn't rubbery like some have mentioned. But...going. Forward, I will take off the skin. I liked the flavor of the rub directly on the meat, and of course, there is more smoke flavoring with the skin out of the way.

Thanks again!

Chicken Thighs (Hickory Smoked)

Tried your method, absolutely delicious. Gonna make my heart patient daddy a happy man on his 72nd bday!!

First I gotta say, I'm not usually big on chicken, however these thighs were some of the best chicken I have ever eaten.

I'll give a short Step by Step, just to show how I did mine:

I started out with 9 Chick Thighs.

I coated 9 thighs with EVO & a good dose of rub.

The rest went like the following:

1:15PM--------------Fill AMNPS with Hickory Pellets, and light one end.

1:30PM--------------Pre-heat MES 40 to 225˚, and put AMNPS in bottom left.

1:45PM--------------Put all 9 Thighs on one grill rack.

2:00PM--------------Put full rack of Thighs in 2nd position of smoker, and empty rack above it.

3:30PM--------------Change heat to 250˚.

3:30PM--------------Also flipped all thighs over, and lost one to my crummy porch floor (Thigh last seen flying over pet cemetery into woods).:102:

4:15PM--------------Change heat to 275˚.

4:30PM--------------Put Stuffed Taters (Mrs Bear made) in pan on top rack.

5:00PM--------------Remove All from smoker.

BTW:  I took them all to 165° or better.

Thanks for looking,

Bear

All Thighs rubbed & ready for smoker:

Through the Looking Glass:

Better look of what's going on:

Stuffed Taters ready for Half hour in smoke:

Everything pulled from smoker:

Closer look at thighs:

Taters smoked & ready to eat:

Bear's first helping:

Reactions: ab canuck
Wow looks great, I am going to try these. Thx for reviving this thread, that is Point worthy to me!!!!!!

Wow looks great, I am going to try these. Thx for reviving this thread, that is Point worthy to me!!!!!!
Actually I believe that post is just a copy of my complete original  "Post #1".

Bear

I know this is an old post but, I tried this today with my MES 30 and half way thru the process I realized the 40" has a 1200W element and my 30 has a 800W. I assume that would make a significant difference on times, temps, and skin texture.

I know this is an old post but, I tried this today with my MES 30 and half way thru the process I realized the 40" has a 1200W element and my 30 has a 800W. I assume that would make a significant difference on times, temps, and skin texture.

Yeah, The difference would be mainly speed of recovery, and 275° was enough for the skin on mine, but I don't know if an MES 30 can hold 275° as consistently as an MES 40, for that last half hour to 45 minutes.
You might have to Grill yours a couple minutes to finish the Skin.

Bear

Reactions: PAS
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky