Census.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
How they spend thier budget doesn't make much sense to me. For shipping parcels and packages inbetween government offices the United States Census Bureau uses FedEx as thier standard delivery service. I may be wrong but wouldn't using the Unites States Postal Service make more sense?

looks like the questions are pretty basic, got mine in the mail yesterday, when i open it up I'll answer them, maybe my small town can get some extra Federal dollars if our population has grown.

I can assure you that Wall-Mart and the credit card companies know more about you than the US Government did before they where given the right to listen into your phone calls without a search warrant. Funny that people get all upset because the gov wants to know how many schools they will need in 10 years, or how many representatives your state should have in congress, or how fast an area is growing so they can plan new highways. Getting an idea of the economic trends in an area determines the need for future public buildings, what local tax revenues can be expected and where economic incentive zones are needed. We all want to be Patriots but our fear of the most stable and democratic government the world has ever know prevents us from being part of the process.

They ship Fed Ex for next to nothing. As do most all government agencies. They get somewhere around a 80% discount. A little sweetheart deal worked out between Fred Smith Fed Ex CEO and the government. Helps keep the language in the Railway Labor Act that Fred needs in order to keep Fed Ex employees from unionizing.
A UPS employee makes on the average $5.00 more an hour than a Fed Ex employee for doing virtually the same job. Not to mention benefits are better for the brown guys. Largely due to union representation on the UPS side.

Yes the questions are basic one's, but most folks have no idea what that information can do in the wrong hands. If you have never been the victom of identity theft then you will not understand this. They do not need your social sec to steal your identity. Just full name, address, and DOB. So they want me to list ALL of my families info?? Dont think so.. Anyone that thinks that this has anything to do with your community getting more money is kidding themselves.. This is all about how many politicians we have on the hill and the distribution of their territory. nothing more.

gotta love paranoid folks.
icon_rolleyes.gif

more bbq talk less political b.s. please

Got my form yesterday, marinated overnight, rinsed off, applied my special rub, and smoked it.
One way to bring down a site like this is to start rambling about politics, there are plenty of those forums on the web about politics.
I do not think that anything political has a place here.....unless you smoke it.

"This is The Smoking Meat Forum"
icon_wink.gif

I don't have a problem with any of the questions at all. Will fill it out in its entirety and happily mail it back. The census is good for the county, its needed. Also, like was mentioned earlier.....that superbowl ad could have saved the country alot of money. If every person who doesn't send it in costs the county $50, that means it only takes 50,000 people filing out the census to cover that cost if it cost 2.5 mil...and I with 120 million or however many watches the superbowl (thats a completely made up guess btw on how many watch it, i would think it would be even more), maybe it made enough of an impact to pay for itself.....I would think its a possibility.

For the record...I am a republican too and hate this administration......and also hate the pre letter....that didn't save anybody any money IMO.

P.S. If you are worried about somebody getting your name and address wow....you have no idea how screwed you are. Trust me, DILLIONS knows more about you than you can imagine if you have a dillons card, you have bigger things to worry about than someone getting your name and address. especially since every piece of mail you receive every day has it on there.....thats public knowledge. My .02, full identity theft takes alot more than a name and address.

Happy smoking!

If you don't want to fill out your census, then don't, but at least put it to good use, and use it to start your fire on your smoker.

I personally filled it out, except question #3, I don't think that information has anything to do with they're reason for the census. But if you think that this info will help our government be more organized in the way it distributes funds, remember it took them 5 days to get water to New Orleans.

What upsets me the most about this whole thing is the fact that the form D-1(E/S) that I received is written in both English and Spanish. Now, I do live in an area that is highly populated with FREAKING ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS, but who are we kidding? Those people are not going to fill out a census form, and most likely would not be able to read it anyway. It disgusts me that we cater to a huge group of people who flaunt the laws that most of us observe and I defended without question.

I'm filling out the form completely. It is my duty, and I'm one loyal SOB. They can't get any information from those ten questions that isn't readily available from a myriad of sources already.

I heard (havent researched myself yet) if you dont fill it out and a census worker comes to your house they are to log all house locations on a GPS. So Big Bro knows where all you law breakers live!! Im not big on gov't conspircies or anything, but thats what i heard.

I worked as a census taker in 1990. If you get the long form it asks questions such as...how many flush toilets inthis home, how many miles do you drive to work, and about 70 other questions that are, in my opinion, none of their business. I'll answer how many people live in this address. Thats it. And that is the only question that the Constitution autherizes.

Scott

GPS locations were taken of every household and other types of living quarters last year in preparation of this year's census to make the maps as accurate as possible. Addresses and roads were canvassed at the same time to get the most accurate information available from interviews if possible, and from what was seen on the house or street if not. Sometimes neighbors were interviewed to get the most accurate location information. All locations were mapped that "could" have a person living in them this year April 1st.

This year is the real thing and you will either get one mailed, or more likely in rural areas, you will get one hand-delivered to you, or hung on your door in a bag if nobody is home. By law you must return it. Hopefully by April 1st. Filling it out before returning it is a good idea too. Addresses, roads and the previous GPS spots are also being checked and updated for as much accuracy as possible during this phase.

Next month there will be the group that goes around and follows up with the places that show no survey was received from, it was incomplete, duplicated, or for other factors. That is so that each is counted only once, and hopefully every place/person is actually counted that once.

Your Census information is covered by Title 13 of the United States Code. That covers your names, your address and GPS location, S. S. #'s and phone numbers. All census workers are sworn in and the penalties for giving out this information in your lifetime (76 years from now I believe it is, which would put me about 122 years old) is severe; up to 5 years in jail, $250,000, or both.

There are trillions of dollars that will be distributed using this census information over the next 10 years. The amount spent on the forms, the people, the Superbowl and other advertising are large amounts, but miniscule compared to the overall dollars these counts will impact for 10 years.

And no...it doesn't have anything to do with ACORN.
icon_wink.gif

That's what they got from me. 4. And all they will get no matter how many times they visit my house. The 2000 census had 67% participation and 0 fines/lawsuits/jail time.

It will also affect representative seats. With all of the Illegals in Cali getting forms there could be as many as NINE seats picked up in CA. I wonder how they will vote on legislation? Also, MO stands to lose 2 seats, as well as a few other States. It's all about creating more dependency on DC.

I'm glad my ancestors were in the census. One of my other hobbies is doing genealogy (and I'm not even Mormon). I've tracked everyone I could through the census. The information is held for 70 years before being released. It's fun to see the little bit of information that the census reveals. I was really hoping to get a "long" form this year, but I guess they didn't have one this year. I'm pretty sure no one in the government really gives a care about me or my family -- all they want is the overall numbers and data. My husband's family is from Sweden. The churches kept the records/census and I've gone back to the early 1700's through these records. I'm glad to be included along with my ancestors, and hopefully, my decendents.

If you don't want to read anything that has to do with our country and it's direction, then don't read the thread. MOVE ON, and let other SMF citizens freely discuss what they think is important.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky