Cast iron care

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingd

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Vegreville, AB, Canada
I have been using the same wonderful cast iron pan for going on 20 years was a gift from my folks (a get out gift) lol.  I never use any kind of soap just straight up hot water and a good scrub but after all these years that is easy it is more non stick then my teflon pans.  I am curious how do you season, and care for your cast iron?

All of my iron is well seasoned, so I just use it and wash it up ~~ Sometimes even in a little hot soapy water...Modern day dish washing soaps are mostly rinsing agents --- not very caustic, so they cause no harm to well seasoned iron....

Fun!

i'll use soap and water and re oil when finished. But an old time told me to just use a coarse salt to clean them. he said just pour some coarse salt in it and rub it in real good and rinse it out the next time you go to use it. he said the abrasiveness of the salt will scratch off anything thats stuff and the salt will absorb anything that would turn rancid. I've done it to a few of my skillets but I usually rinse the salt out afterwards and re oil them before I put them up

cool.gif

I got some when I married this wife. She has always told me to wash it with alittle soap and alot of elbow grease and then put it on the stove, on a burner and dry it that way. Then after it's dry oil it with some pam or oil of some sort and put it away.

I don't use soap. Just warm water and a plastic scouring pad. If there are any bits that are stuck, then I use coarse salt. After that I dry it and lightly re-oil before putting it away.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky