Carolina Reaper in SS?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

golfpro2301

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Hey all

I get my new stx turboforce on thurs (last grinder died past weekend) and it so happens have pork butt thawing in fridge and a pack of reaper peppers will be delivered as well On Thursday

anyone use these in summer sausage? I love spicy things but unsure how much to use and how to prep them. I would prefer not to grind into powder but have small pieces through out the sausage

I've done reaper powder in smoked sausage , and reaper dried beef . I'm on my phone , and pics are on my laptop . It don't take much . If you get it right , has heat but also a almost fruity flavor . I'll have to check my notes for how much I used when I get upstairs

Reactions: 73saint
Let me know how it works out. I’ve got 12 reaper plants and they are about to be full of peppers. Not even sure what to do with them!

I think your best option would be to vac seal a few of them and ship to my house. Lol

seriously if dont need all of them ill send $

I'm using powder . Looks like I used 1/2 tsp of reaper powder along with red pepper flakes for 5 lbs . It was pretty warm . I'm about mid level for heat tolerance . I know when I dry jalapenos into powder , the powder is hotter then raw peppers . When I use fresh jalapenos I use 3 per 5 lbs . A bout a 3 inch pepper . Not sure if any of this helps you or not .
20191130_134141.jpg 20190928_083455.jpg

Thanks Chopsaw. I am on high heat tolerance. If im not sweating and miserable than not hot enough. Ill put one dried pepper in spice grinder and see of I can get small pieces but not powder. Plan on doing 3 lb batch. Will start with 1/2 pepper and pan fry test piece

Reactions: chopsaw
Sounds like a good approach . This is a link to the reaper dried beef . I cured this with tender quick , then smoked . I gave the measurement as " that looks good " . I think it was about 1/2 tsp for the 3 lb hunk of beef . Gave it some good color . It was perfect for me for heat . Sweats and runny nose , you'd need more , but it was close . When I pulled it from the smoker and brought it in , I got over the top of it . Took my breath away , and it was rinsed off before it went in the smoker .

So just finished up a 3lb batch and it is sneaky spicy. I followed Marianski recipe but didnt have mustard seed and I used 200ppm cure #1. I added two reaper pepper I pulsed in spice grinder. You can see size of pieces in photo below. A little smaller red pepper flake

fermented for 20 hours then cold smoked at 85F and 85RH. Let that go for 6 hours and back into cooler to continue fermenting until 36hr mark. Dropped in 152F water bath for 3 hours then in ice bath for 1hour. Let hang at room temp for 3 hour and Then taste tested

it makes you sweat slightly and numbs lips. Perfect amount of heat

F6E27A87-E325-4CE9-A079-EAF074B3862F.jpeg
E7A17DC5-F4A6-4777-A603-5F737C98D869.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky