Capers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Do you like capers?

• Love them.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Can't stand them.

• They're okay.

• Only in certain dishes.

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

placebo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 24, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I've been seeing this turn up in recipes more and more lately it seems. I've never really developed a taste for them which is odd because I like almost everything. So I thought I'd see what the SMF community thinks about them. My first time doing a poll so I hope I don't mess it up.

Also if anyone has ever used them in a smoking recipe please post what it was. Thanks!

No poll came up. I have developed a taste for capers. I like the saltiness they provide in a recipe. I think that a lot of people associate them with sardines in recipes. I don't like the looks of sardines from the can so I use the paste in the tubes. I guess it's an acquired taste.

Capers are an acquired taste for sure. They need to be rinsed thoroughly and minced up in my opinion. I also usually only use about 1/2 - 2/3 the amount called for. When I buy them I dump most of the brine and replace it with water.

Try rinsing them off first to remove the brine. You still get a great taste but it isnt so salty. Then you can try straight from the jar.

As for recipe? I just make lox, and put that on a bagel with cream cheese and capers. Damn good eating!

Capers have long been a favorite in the Mediterranean region But not in Texas . but I don't like things soaked and dried like pickles either . Capers have been around for many 100s of years and maybe even thousands .

I find they are a nice addition to a lot of sauces where you want a little bit of tart and salt, but still want to keep the flavor original. They are a unique flavor that can sometimes liven up an otherwise so, so dish. But definately use in moderation.... little bit goes a long way.
biggrin.gif

I LOVE capers, but even better are the larger caper berries. They are like a caper on steriods with a stem. I can sit and eat a whole jar

mmmmmmmm

love them and use them,mashed or minced or whole,sauces , dressings you name it. i've smoked chicken with them mashed under the skin with other herb's and spices.mashed and put in marinades also.

Mark

Oooh... made me think! I'm gonna take some EVOO, capers, fresh sliced lemons, fresh rosmary, fresh garlic, and some Cavendish Greek seasoning - and make a marinade for some chicken leg quarters, then smoke em! That will be some good mediteranian chicken.... *drool*

Lol I knew I'd forget something. But, if your like my kids then never had would fall under can't stand them.
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky