Camp Chef 24" Smoke Vault vs Masterbuilt 40 inch ThermoTemp XL vs OTHERS?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MikeRizzi

Original poster
Jul 19, 2022
I am new to smoke products. I grew up on propane and as a new home owner, I only own a 36" Blackstone Griddle and want to get into cooking more food at home; using just a griddle isn't enough. I LOVE smoked flavored foods, so I have been really looking into vertical smokers. I still intend on investing in a pellet grill in addition but no product on the market is a Catch 22. I live with me and my other half but we often host and cook food for groups so size is important to me which is why I have only sought out larger-scale smokers.

I have done some research and believe that propane would suit me better than electric-driven design. I have done a lot of research comparing similarly designed smokers and these two continue to pop up. I wanted to hear opinions from real people and not online reviews that could easily be fake/robot reviews. I have someone I know personally who has a Smoke Vault and loves it but I want to make sure I make the right purchase. I like the MB because it is dual level so I can add fuel without opening the entire chamber and letting out the heat and smoke but I don't know if that makes a true difference and if that should be a focal point of my purchasing decision. Neither of them is double insulated which I am disappointed about but I am not sure if this is really that big of a downside and that I am overthinking; don't know how much cooking I'll be doing in winter. I live in rural Ohio so winters are harsh-ish but not as bad as those who live farther north. I see complaints for both regarding temp controls but I just assumed I would have to invest in a more professional temp gauge instead of relying on the dial anyway so I know it will be a learning curve regardless. I also found the smoke vault sometimes leaks smoke out of the door but people have also found products to buy to install onto the door to eliminate this issue so a little extra work doesn't bother me either if this is an issue.

Can anyone provide me insight comparing these two or perhaps other products that I missed that fit more of what I would want/am looking for? I don't have thousands to spend but my budget is reasonably flexible. Thank you all for your time.

________________________________________________________________________________________
Link to each product in question
- CFSV: https://www.campchef.com/smoke-vault-24/CC-SMV24S.html
- MBTTXL: https://www.masterbuilt.com/products/40-inch-thermotemp-xl-propane-smoker

Welcome from ND
Numerous different posts on here with the gravity feed smokers. May be of interest to you.
Very tempted to give them a chance with the other arsenal I already have.

Reactions: MikeRizzi
I have the Camp Chef 24. Had it for about 6-7 years and it has been great. Yes, it is very thin material and leaks smoke but it puts out some great Q. Never had a problem with it. Recovery time from adding wood and water is minimal. Can fit whole briskets, racks of ribs, and whole spatched turkeys. Good luck with your decision!

I have the Camp Chef 24. Had it for about 6-7 years and it has been great. Yes, it is very thin material and leaks smoke but it puts out some great Q. Never had a problem with it. Recovery time from adding wood and water is minimal. Can fit whole briskets, racks of ribs, and whole spatched turkeys. Good luck with your decision!
Does it leak a lot of smoke? And when you say it leaks, is it from the door?

To everyone who commented, I appreciate your responses. I decided to taker the plunge/chance and purchased the Masterbuilt. It was cheaper which was an added bonus but my decision was based on some further reviews found online.

One of the biggest aspects for me was the double insulation. I watched a video of someone who had been smoking and the gentlemen touched the top of the smoker and it did not burn his hand whereas I know the Vault definitely gets hot on the edges. I do not have children but I have dogs and I know that my friends and myself who may not think about it could accidentally touch it and that added heat protection was important to me...something I did not consider. Also, the fact that temp regulation is important, the fact that it has a double door to help maintain the chambers temp was also important so I have decided to take the chance even with the varying reviews. If it does not work out, at least I am not out as much money as I could be if I had opted for the other choices out there. I also learned that getting into this realm of cooking is learning curves and sometimes not every product works perfect so I am prepared to do slight modifying for things like the door if necessary in case mine leaks smoke out the door. Small changes make big differences and I am willing and excited to learn about this new form of cooking. I am going to give myself a year with this new smoker and then I will be looking into a pellet grill next.

Question, do you find the wood chips work better for smoking than wood chunks? Also, do you ever mix in charcoal into your wood mixtures for additional flavor?

Question, do you find the wood chips work better for smoking than wood chunks? Also, do you ever mix in charcoal into your wood mixtures for additional flavor?

I prefer to run wood chunks. The chips just burn up too fast. No need to soak them either. I see you went with the Masterbuilt. Not a bad choice either! Look forward to seeing how you like it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky