• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Burn Bans

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noogsmoke

May 3, 2013
We have a strict burn ban on fires in barrels.  I have no $ for sandblasting/powdercoating.  Will a wire brush be sufficient inside and out?

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Nope.....  gotta get the inside, to a high enough temp, to burn off the bad stuff....  Sorry......  Dave

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
We have a strict burn ban on fires in barrels.  I have no $ for sandblasting/powdercoating.  Will a wire brush be sufficient inside and out?
Check those laws.

All of the townships around here have burn bans now & then, but the only thing allowed is burning in a barrel, which is what you need.

Bear

fwismoker

Master of the Pit
Dec 31, 2012
Harbor Freight has a propane warming torch that is only$20....you'll be able to get away with using that..doesn't produce smoke and will work great!

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
The barrel I just had blasted was only $25.00 to be blasted.

We too cannot do any outdoor burning, except in a lidded BBQ/smoker right now.

Using an electric grinder with a wire wheel would do it, but loud, and you'd spend $25+ on wheels and dust masks.

fwismoker

Master of the Pit
Dec 31, 2012
The barrel I just had blasted was only $25.00 to be blasted.

We too cannot do any outdoor burning, except in a lidded BBQ/smoker right now.

Using an electric grinder with a wire wheel would do it, but loud, and you'd spend $25+ on wheels and dust masks.
$25 was a great deal farmer! ;)

cameron8645

Aug 4, 2013
Would sand blasting be enough to get the nasties out of a barrel that is lined? I haven't bought a barrel yet and I can't burn one out where I am, but looking at other options.

fwismoker

Master of the Pit
Dec 31, 2012
Would sand blasting be enough to get the nasties out of a barrel that is lined? I haven't bought a barrel yet and I can't burn one out where I am, but looking at other options.
you can sand blast and do a good cure or take a weed burner and burn it.

noxcuse

Jun 11, 2012
We have burn bans during early spring when it's dry out. Our law says no open fires. Maybe a piece of expanded metal over the hole will suffice? That flies here. Not sure about where you are.

-----
Sent from my Droid Razr Maxx

cameron8645

Aug 4, 2013
Between burn bans and living in an apartment building, burning hot like that and a big flame isn't going to fly. We can cook in the parking lot, but that would be a controlled flame and covered. I think a torch or a weed burner may be in order if sand blasting doesn't do it. If its just a rust inhibitor, a burn out is not needed, correct? Just a cleaning and painting, then seasoning?

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Between burn bans and living in an apartment building, burning hot like that and a big flame isn't going to fly. We can cook in the parking lot, but that would be a controlled flame and covered. I think a torch or a weed burner may be in order if sand blasting doesn't do it. If its just a rust inhibitor, a burn out is not needed, correct? Just a cleaning and painting, then seasoning?
Sand blasting will work and then just a normal seasoning burn. To have my barrel sand blasted and the exterior powder coated was only $75. To just have it sand blasted was going to be $25.Most powder coaters also do sand blasting, as well as auto body shops. Ask around and you should be able to find someone to blast it for a fair price.

garyt

Smoking Fanatic
Apr 6, 2007
We cant have a burn barrel where I live either, folks burning garbage, I spoke to the fire chief and told him what I wanted to burn in a barrel for he said go for it, just to let him know when and where incase someone complained

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom
Clicky