Initial burn

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sumosmoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 29, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, FL
FINALLY assembled the smoker AND the storage shed so we can try and keep the rig clean when not in use! Fired it up for the initial 'burn off' in preparation for the inaugural food smoke!
First time with an electric smoker and it's interesting, to say the least. The Traeger app is handy to monitor and adjust temps as needed without going outside.
Purchased a Thermoworks X 4-probe unit and plan on smoking a butt with some squeef's for the inaugural smoke! Ahh .. I've missed the sweet smell of the TBS ...
Smoker - closed.jpg

Attachments

• Initial burn.jpg
    Initial burn.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Smoker - inside grill.jpg
    Smoker - inside grill.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 12
First time with an electric smoker and it's interesting, to say the least.
Make sure you know and follow the startup and shutdown directions for that . Some like lid open some say lid closed , just make sure you follow what your info says for that grill .

Enjoy ! It's a great platform for cooking outside .

Make sure you know and follow the startup and shutdown directions for that . Some like lid open some say lid closed , just make sure you follow what your info says for that grill .

Enjoy ! It's a great platform for cooking outside .
Definitely watched the videos on how to startup and shut down. First fail was plugging it in and pushing all buttons without anything displaying on the screen. Shouted "electric sucks!", stomped inside, and realized I never flipped the power switch to "On" :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I have those senior moments more and more these days.

Yeah, a pellet pooper isn't a good producer of TBS. I get clouds of white smoke or just clear heat.
You'll need a tube filled with pellets for a better smoke profile.
I disagree with this post. Pellet brand can maake a huge difference in smoke profile. I suggest you master your new grill before starting with pellet tubes. Clouds of white smoke are very uncommon on modern pellet grills with good pellets.

Modern pellet grills have fixed some of the problems from just a couple of years ago. Avoid watching older pellet youtube stuff. They can be very misleading.

As Chopsaw posted, follow your manual. This is especially true on shutdown and clean up.

My favorite pellets are Oklahoma Joes and Bear Moutain.
My least favorite are pitbosss, aand tragger.

Reactions: JLeonard
Looks good and about time to get some food going in there

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky