First time building UDS for cold smoking use only

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

plchaine

Original poster
Sep 7, 2023
Hi, I'm building my first UDS, I'll only be using it for cold smoking. I noticed there was some surface rust on the inside of the drum. Can I simply use a wire brush to remove the rust or do i have to light a fire inside the drum to remove it.

If I use a wire brush to remove the rust, do I need to season it after as it will only be used for cold smoking. I would of course coat it with spray cooking oil after removing the dust to prevent rust from coming back.

Thank you!!

Reactions: HalfSmoked
I'd hit the obvious rust with a wire wheel, but still burn it out (likely before dealing with any rust) before turning it into a cooker. I'd also get a decent seasoning on the inside to make the interior easier to keep rust free.

I'd hit the obvious rust with a wire wheel, but still burn it out (likely before dealing with any rust) before turning it into a cooker. I'd also get a decent seasoning on the inside to make the interior easier to keep rust free.
Thank you, should i burn it before i wire wheel the whole exterior? I already started removing the exterior paint and rust but i wonder if i'll have to wire wheel the whole thing again after seasoning.

Thank you, should i burn it before i wire wheel the whole exterior? I already started removing the exterior paint and rust but i wonder if i'll have to wire wheel the whole thing again after seasoning.
Burn it out first as it should get hot enough to flake the exterior paint. Wire wheel it all down nice, season, then apply high temp paint outside. I know you plan on cold smoking only, but no real reason not to paint with high temp on the outside. Rustoleum ceramic high temp is mainly what I use.

Reactions: plchaine
Burn it out first as it should get hot enough to flake the exterior paint. Wire wheel it all down nice, season, then apply high temp paint outside. I know you plan on cold smoking only, but no real reason not to paint with high temp on the outside. Rustoleum ceramic high temp is mainly what I use.
Thank you so much :) have a nice day!

Reactions: JLeonard and DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky