Yay, fire ban was lifted...I can smoke meat again.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
With this Heat Wave we've been having, there has been a burn ban in effect for about the last month. They lifted it yesterday with the 3 days of rain showers. Got 4.5" over that time frame here at the house. Standing water in the yard..

I'm sure the ban will return once it dries out and the heat returns again. Sure was nice while it lasted though.

Just read the Louisiana burn ban guidelines. Outdoor burning in connection with the preparation of food was still allowed. At least that is what I saw at the louisiana.gov website.

Reactions: bill ace 350
YAY!! So happy to hear that Keith. I can see a TD entry coming....possibly a smoked buzzard? :emoji_laughing: Nah, probably not but it'd be kinda cool to see you do one, and if anybody could do it, it'd be you.
Got 4.5" over that time frame here at the house.
What I wouldn't give for that kind of rain here.
With this Heat Wave we've been having, there has been a burn ban in effect for about the last month.
I can relate. We've been under a burn ban for about 4 years now. Been particularly bad this year though and the fires are starting up. Had several the past few weeks. Nothing huge but it's still scary. The entire region could get torched with just one match getting dropped.

Robert

In my area fire bans have changed a lot. Used to be if you need a fire for cooking and heat it was fine. Now it is a all out NO FIRE AT ALL ban.
I even heard a conversation with the village fire chief when asked if it was OK to lite a sauna stove and he said NO....you want to be responsible for burning down your neighbors house than go for it.
Never ever seen it this bad. Anyone who does not think global warming is not happing then they need a education with a kick in the rear end.

Just read the Louisiana burn ban guidelines. Outdoor burning in connection with the preparation of food was still allowed. At least that is what I saw at the louisiana.gov website.
We have a burn ban every spring. Cooking fires are exempt.

So the water in the yard was not from all that rain. I have a water leak in the main line from the water meter to where it 90's up out of the ground for service to the house. Awesome. Just what I wanted to do on memorial day weekend....repair a water line.
IMG_20230901_151622.jpg

Reactions: SmokinEdge
So the water in the yard was not from all that rain. I have a water leak in the main line from the water meter to where it 90's up out of the ground for service to the house. Awesome. Just what I wanted to do on memorial day weekend....repair a water line.
View attachment 675049
Thats the shits Kieth. If I was closer I’d bring my backhoe over and help you. How deep do you guys bury water? I’m guessing not that deep. We are 4-5’ deep here for frost, but you should be much less.

Reactions: DougE
About 2'... good thing is I know right where the water line is as I had to locate it before I built the shed back in spring. The water line was replaced from the meter to the house about 25 years ago...all except the last 2' or so of metal pipe. That is likely where the leak is. House was built in the 50's so I'm not surprised that section finally corroded out.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
About 2'... good thing is I know right where the water line is as I had to locate it before I built the shed back in spring. The water line was replaced from the meter to the house about 25 years ago...all except the last 2' or so of metal pipe. That is likely where the leak is. House was built in the 50's so I'm not surprised that section finally corroded out.
Is it copper or pvc or steel?

Heck, if it's like anywhere else, should be a few Mexicans hanging out at Lowes or Home Depot every morning looking for some work.

Sucks it was after the meter.
Happy you figured it out.
When i lived in Washington state the meter was at the curb. Here in MN they are in the basement or utility room for a slab built

Finally got the water line repaired. she was leaking like seive right at the ground level. water going everywhere!

Ran into more problems than I can count...had to break out the torch for some heat and a spray can of Kroil but finally broke the threads loose on the pipe nipple and back it out of the T.

New Union, Brass block valve (with bleeder drain), and PVC run up out of the ground.

Before..
IMG_20230902_163359.jpg

After...
IMG_20230903_150225.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky