Browing Smoked Pork Loin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

richs

Original poster
Aug 27, 2007
Mt Vernon Virginia
Hello Smokers:

I resurrected my electric smoker/roaster that I haven't used in a while. It has separate controls for smoking and for roasting. I'd like to achieve a nicely crusted dark brown pork loin roast that has been smoked in the same unit. I usually cook my pork loin to about 145F.

Should I brown first (max temperature setting only 350F) by roasting with the smoker off. And then smoke with the temp set to 250?

Or vice-versa: smoke first at around 250F, turn off smoker, then roast for remaining period at 350. I probably will brine the tenderloin before hand.

Any ideas/thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

You are using a rub, aren't you. Plus, I don't think a 145º internal will get you much bark, atleast I have to go more in my smoker, more like 165 to 170º.

Rich.....glad to have met you in chat tonight.

The more I think about it....if you are doing a boneless pork loin roast.....and want a nice brown crust.....and your smoker works at higher temps....you might want to do it low....say, 200, with smoke for a short time (30 minutes???) to allow some good smoke penetration.....then crank the temps up to 300 with smoke and just keep an eye on your internal temps....a loin roast needs higher temps to get the kind of browning that I believe you are looking for.

Pull it AS SOON AS the internal temp hits 145....wrap in foil, and rest for 20 minutes or so.

Hope this helps,
Eric

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky