Brisket-Pastrami dilemma

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

unclejhim

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 14, 2013
Folsom, La.
I have a brisket flat and point curing to make some pastrami. The problem I have is my MES stopped working (no heat) and the meat will be done curing before I have time to fix the smoker. Here's a couple thought's I have...
#1. Can I cold smoke the meat and then cook it in the oven? Not ideal but seem like an option.
#2 Once the meat is cured freeze it until the smoker is fixed ....doesn't seem right...but would it work?
#3 Make Corned Beef instead...really craving pastrami.
Y'all got any thought's??

That might be a quick fix . Unplug the smoker and open the back panel . Check for a burnt wire (s) at the element connection . Pretty common .
I already did that and replace connectors with new stainless steel ones. I need to test the element and see if I have an element problem or a control panel problem. Either way I've got to do something with my brisket.

Reactions: chopsaw
Just thought I'd mention it .
I would say a few hours of smoke and oven finish would work fine .
There has been some discussions about freezing cured meat . Post # 8
Any other options ? Weber kettle maybe .
Post it up when your done .

I(s it wet cure or dry cure? Wet cure can be held for 30 days in the curing brine with no problems to the quality of meat, if that gives you more time.

I(s it wet cure or dry cure? Wet cure can be held for 30 days in the curing brine with no problems to the quality of meat, if that gives you more time.

Just thought I'd mention it .
I would say a few hours of smoke and oven finish would work fine .
There has been some discussions about freezing cured meat . Post # 8
Any other options ? Weber kettle maybe .
Post it up when your done .
No other options open to me at this time.

Glad you found the problem! And you would love an amber!

Ryan

I found the problem. One of the connectors for the limit switch was bad. Replaced and working fine. Someday I'll get a Auber PID.
Hahahah nice find there! I was just about to mention to check that area because its part of the common connector failure spots. Also if the limit switch fails on you (usually melts down) then you can simply unplug the smoker and splice the wires together there with a wire nut if you are in a mid smoke and need to finish it.
You could leave them wired together or replace a melted down switch when time permits but you should be able to keep going strong in either case :)

Glad you found it . Thats the only thing on mine that I have mot looked at . I should just open it up and take care of it .

Reactions: tallbm
Hahahah nice find there! I was just about to mention to check that area because its part of the common connector failure spots. Also if the limit switch fails on you (usually melts down) then you can simply unplug the smoker and splice the wires together there with a wire nut if you are in a mid smoke and need to finish it.
You could leave them wired together or replace a melted down switch when time permits but you should be able to keep going strong in either case :)
I put a new limit switch in last year just didn't replace the connectors.

Next time I replace mine I am going to use a ceramic version instead of those plastic versions. Mine tend to melt down on me . My connectors are super heavy duty and are good to go.

Next time I replace mine I am going to use a ceramic version instead of those plastic versions. Mine tend to melt down on me . My connectors are super heavy duty and are good to go.
Update. My smoker seemed to be working fine after replacing the limit switch connectors.
Set up the smoker temp. at 245 inserted the brisket flat (Pastrami) about 7:00 p.m. to cook all night. Next morning fined out smoker shut down. temp. was about 160 and GFI was tripped. I'm just now getting around to find the problem.
I plugged the smoker into the same outlet ( did not turn smoker on) and as soon as I did the GFI tripped. I tested the GFI and it's good. The strange thing is I plugged the smoker into another GFI outlet and it turned on???
I took the back panel off and tested the element (read 14.2...this is a 1200 watt element) but what is disturbing is the melting insulation you can see in the picture. I'm not sure where to start or if or if this is beyond repair??
Pastrami was finished in the oven and turned out fine...

Attachments

• IMG_1204.JPG
    IMG_1204.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 13
That's not good . Looks like it started down by the connection for the element . That's the darkest area , and moved up and to the left . I would pull the element out and see if the insulation inside the element itself is gone .

I'm not sure where to start or if or if this is beyond repair??
The answer to that is , They're never done unless you want it to be . Might take a new element , and do the rewire and add a PID . Plug an play Auber 1510 and the element , under $200 . Cheaper than a new smoker and runs way better .

Reactions: Brokenhandle
The answer to that is , They're never done unless you want it to be . Might take a new element , and do the rewire and add a PID . Plug an play Auber 1510 and the element , under $200 . Cheaper than a new smoker and runs way better .
What about the insulation? How do I replace or repair that?

What about the insulation? How do I replace or repair that?
You could cut out the bad area and get the fire rated foam spray to replace .
Find what is causing the problem . You might have one side of the element burnt in 2 . Arcing and caused a fire on that side . Just a guess .

Update. My smoker seemed to be working fine after replacing the limit switch connectors.
Set up the smoker temp. at 245 inserted the brisket flat (Pastrami) about 7:00 p.m. to cook all night. Next morning fined out smoker shut down. temp. was about 160 and GFI was tripped. I'm just now getting around to find the problem.
I plugged the smoker into the same outlet ( did not turn smoker on) and as soon as I did the GFI tripped. I tested the GFI and it's good. The strange thing is I plugged the smoker into another GFI outlet and it turned on???
I took the back panel off and tested the element (read 14.2...this is a 1200 watt element) but what is disturbing is the melting insulation you can see in the picture. I'm not sure where to start or if or if this is beyond repair??
Pastrami was finished in the oven and turned out fine...

Wow that is not looking good there.
jted jted posted here and according to his info you are reading 2.2 ohms higher on your element than should be read for a 1200 watt element.

Replacing insulation shouldnt be an issue. I would be more concerned with what caused the burning (if that is true burning). A replacement element is like $25 online i believe (not sure about shipping cost).
Often when the GFI is tripping and the GFI outlet is good that means the element is wearing out. Your's seems to be reading a little high and that burnt looking stuff makes me think you should investigate more around the element and think of replacing it. Last thing u want is a fire :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky