Brisket Fat Cap Up or Down?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SullSmokes

Original poster
Dec 15, 2020
Bought a prime brisket last weekend and wanted to switch things up on my GMG pellet grill.

I’ve cooked 5 briskets over the last 6 months and the flat was always a little too dry. I traditionally cooked 195 till I hit 165 with fat cap down. Wrapped in butcher paper and increased heat to 250 till I hit 202 or probe tender.

This past weekend I mixed it up. Fat cap up on the GMG at 225. Wrapped in butcher at 165. Pulled it at 205. The results were great; super tender point and flat, crisp bark all over and the taste was off the charts.
My issue was the flat that was down on the grill had a super tough bark. Almost crispy / burnt all along the first 1/3 of the flat that touched the grill and inedible. Once I sliced off that bottom layer of bark from the individual slices the brisket was still tender and delicious. Bottom bark aside the was the best brisket I’ve cooked at home.
Should I go fat cap down next time? Lower temp? Any advice would be appreciated!

Flip a coin! I usually do fat side up (1/4" trimmed and 45 deg cut, and wrapped at IT 160ish) and I have also done a flip and mop at a time interval (one of Jeff's cook book recipes). Jeff also uses a pan for the flip cook. Jake also has a good suggestion with adding a rack or pain to raise it......

Experimentation is a good thing.....find what works with your smoker and do that! My smokers run a bit cooler over the center so I don't get a hot spot at lower smoke temps.....they are hotter on top till they start hitting 325 -350 ish then the center bottom is hotter...

I had always done fat cap down to protect the meat. Then I saw someone talk about going fat up to protect the fat. I really like fat cap up now.

Reactions: SullSmokes
Flip a coin! I usually do fat side up (1/4" trimmed and 45 deg cut, and wrapped at IT 160ish) and I have also done a flip and mop at a time interval (one of Jeff's cook book recipes). Jeff also uses a pan for the flip cook. Jake also has a good suggestion with adding a rack or pain to raise it......

Experimentation is a good thing.....find what works with your smoker and do that! My smokers run a bit cooler over the center so I don't get a hot spot at lower smoke temps.....they are hotter on top till they start hitting 325 -350 ish then the center bottom is hotter...
Thank you!

I am going to buy a rack and test out an elevated brisket on my next cook. Appreciate the insight!

I always go fat cap down on the pellet smoker. If you had semi success with fat cap up then I'd recommend placing it on a rack and give it another try fat cap up. You'll get better results not being directly on bottom grate
Will do - going to try out a rack for the next cook. Thanks!

Fat cap down and try wrapping the edges of your flat with foil to help with getting them to done also if you have a section of your smoker that runs a little cooler make sure your flat is in that area.

Thank you!

I am going to buy a rack and test out an elevated brisket on my next cook. Appreciate the insight!

You are welcome. Here are the two examples I made reference too. Not saying this is better than how anyone else does it.....Its just how I do it. I actually do the quick method the most as it is simple and I actually sleep an night.....lol....

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/the-picture-journey-of-a-point-cut-brisket.293748/

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/copper-pot-quick-brisket.301235/

Prime is a very forgiving.
+1 with beef, grade is king. Basically the issue is the flat is too thin in places. Fat cap up or down cannot fix that. Locating flat away from heat is about the best you can do besides trim. Look for Franklin's trimming info. Much of the flat makes into the sausage bucket. A member here does a similar trim and has great write up ( T Tallbald ?) but not sure.

Personally, I think it depends on your smoker:
If it's an electric smoker where there is very little, if any direct heat, I put the Fat Cap up to baste the meat, or put the fat in a pan with holes in it, above the meat to drip down on it.

If your smoker produces a lot of direct heat from below, I would put the Fat down to protect the meat.

Bear

fat up or down debate. I got so swept up in this a few years back... then Fat down towards the heat source and said above, never looked back

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky