Brisket Fat Cap Up or Down?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'd actually try both and see what you prefer. Keeping the fat side down where the heat source is directly underneath the meat can protect the meat, but fat side up can help keep things moist as the rendering fat sort of bastes the meat as gravity pulls it down into, and across the surface of, the meat.

Reactions: SullSmokes
fat side up can help keep things moist as the rendering fat sort of bastes the meat as gravity pulls it down into, and across the surface of, the meat.
Ziggy, my friend, the "fat side up to baste the meat" is a myth. It's the same type of anecdotal thinking as "meat on the counter for an hour will reach room temp." No, it won't.

If I owned a horizontal offset without tuning plates, the heat would come from the top, not the bottom, unless I put the meat right next to the firebox. Away from the box, fat side up. Near the box, fat side down. Tuning plates, fat side down anywhere in the smoker.

I've always put the fat cap toward the heat source and get tender juicy briskets, tri tips, and other fat capped meat. If there was any truth to the "fat side up to baste the meat," that would not be possible.

Yes, the fat cap will render with the fat side up, but it will flow around the sides and into the drip pan. It is physically impossible for the lower density external fat to flow into or through the denser meat muscle.

External fat has nothing to do with making the tough meat juicy. That's melted collagen's job, and internal fat, to a degree. As the tough collagen melts, the meat becomes tender and juicy. A tender lean and juicy flat is proof. An undercooked flat is dry and tough.

Rendered internal fat will turn butterlike as it heats and the collagen melts. It remains in the meat and adds flavor, texture, and yes, juice. Think waygu, Prime, or any brisket point from Select on up. If you've ever undercooked a brisket and chomped on an unrendered point, that greasy feel in your mouth is one you won't forget.

We can agree to disagree, but you are absolutely right to tell people to try both ways. The engineer in me always tests cooking advice that I know to be anecdotal.

BTW, the same fat cap advice applies to pork butts, too, but that's another thread.

Yes, the fat cap will render with the fat side up, but it will flow around the sides and into the drip pan. It is physically impossible for the lower density external fat to flow into or through the denser meat muscle.
OK, maybe this is a misunderstanding. The idea, as I understand it, isn't that the cap on the outside melts through the middle of the meat -- the collagen does that -- but that it keeps the outside of the meat "lubricated". Doing it that way, in my somewhat limited experience, seems to lessen the need to open the smoker for a spritz. And every time I open the smoker for a spritz, it impacts the cook.

That said, I DO tend to prefer the fat cap down for the reasons usually mentioned, at least on my pellet smoker. But when I do it that way, I feel like I need to manage the meat more to keep it moist on top. And people have different equipment. So it's hard to say one size fits all based on their equipment. I can easily see situations where fat cap up makes sense.

Last edited:
Alright for those still undecided. Here's my take: Buy yourself a large rib rack and smoke the brisket on its side. That way the narrowest end is facing the heat source(less scorching) and the fat drips down the side basting the whole brisket during the cook.

On a more serious note. I smoke all larger cuts of meat fat cap down. Basically I do it for two reasons. First, in my mind it will help prevent burning of the actual meat. Second, the fat cap will act like an insulator delaying/slowing down the juices from inside the meat from escaping when the meats pores open up. And there you have it folks. Tips from the BBQ capital of the world Vermont.

Chris

I'll repeat what I said earlier:
Personally, I think it depends on your smoker:
If it's an electric smoker where there is very little, if any direct heat, I put the Fat Cap up to baste the meat, or put the fat in a pan with holes in it, above the meat to drip down on it.
If your smoker produces a lot of direct heat from below, I would put the Fat down to protect the meat, from the direct heat coming from below.

I will add that when I first started "Double Smoking" Hams, I trimmed most of the Fat off, and put it in a pan with holes punched in it, above the Ham. Then I made crosshatch cuts in the Ham to accept the drippings from the pan above.
When I started doing a couple "Spiral Sliced Hams", they had no Fat on them, so I put Bacon in the Pan with holes, so the Bacon Fat could drip down & enter the cuts I made in the Ham.
NOTE: This Works Awesome in my MES 40.

Here are some examples of the Fat Dripping from above:
Double Smoked Hams Times 4
Double Smoked Ham
Double Smoked Spiral Sliced Ham

Bear

Ziggy, my friend. Let's put another myth to rest involving spritzing. Spritzing does put moisture on the outside of the meat, but does absolutely nothing to keep or make the internal meat moist. In fact, there are studies that indicate if may accelerate moisture loss due to evaporative cooling.

Smoke particles will stick to the moisture when the meat is spritzed. When the moisture evaporates from the surface of the meat, some of the smoke remains behind. If the spritz contains flavor elements, they may remain behind, too. That's the only benefit from spritzing. You're adding to the flavor profile and making the meat taste smokier. I've blind tested that last point with my supertaster wife and she could always tell when I spritzed or used water in my water pan. "This meat is too smoky. What'd you do different?"

As stated above, spritzing the outside of the meat does nothing to keep the internal meat moist. If it did, a pot roast of brisket or chuck braised in beef broth would never taste dry and tough. The only elements in the broth that penetrate the meat are the salts. Water conducts heat 25 times faster than air. That's why a pot roast will be juicy and probe tender in 212F water in about 2-4 hours instead of 10-14 on the 250F smoker. If you take the pot roast out of the water before it probes tender, it will taste dry and tough because the collagen hasn't melted.

I never spritz, except for specific flavor profiles on a double smoked ham.. Spritzing to keep the inside of meat moist is another myth that needs to go away.

Bought a prime brisket last weekend and wanted to switch things up on my GMG pellet grill.

I’ve cooked 5 briskets over the last 6 months and the flat was always a little too dry. I traditionally cooked 195 till I hit 165 with fat cap down. Wrapped in butcher paper and increased heat to 250 till I hit 202 or probe tender.

This past weekend I mixed it up. Fat cap up on the GMG at 225. Wrapped in butcher at 165. Pulled it at 205. The results were great; super tender point and flat, crisp bark all over and the taste was off the charts.
My issue was the flat that was down on the grill had a super tough bark. Almost crispy / burnt all along the first 1/3 of the flat that touched the grill and inedible. Once I sliced off that bottom layer of bark from the individual slices the brisket was still tender and delicious. Bottom bark aside the was the best brisket I’ve cooked at home.
Should I go fat cap down next time? Lower temp? Any advice would be appreciated!

I feel ya...learned a LOT about brisket on a pellet smoker over the last month. I had a 17 pounder that got overcooked. The lesson learned was pellet smokers can have big temperature swings. They don't cook at the temp you set it at, my Green Mountain smoker needed a firmware update and I needed to replace the heating element that got fried from voltage surges. Make sure you have a clear understanding of the temp on your grate using a wireless reader.

As for fat side up or down. You'll get 50% of people saying up, the other fat down. One tip someone gave me on this board is to get an aluminum tin tray that has raised ridges inside or use a cookie rack. When you wrap (or any time before) you can put it in the aluminum that will act as a shield from the heat. By lifting the meat up off the direct heat surface it'll minimize that burnt fat layer. For me, I like to start fat side down so the presentation side gets a nice color then flip after wrapping.

I feel ya...learned a LOT about brisket on a pellet smoker over the last month. I had a 17 pounder that got overcooked. The lesson learned was pellet smokers can have big temperature swings. They don't cook at the temp you set it at, my Green Mountain smoker needed a firmware update and I needed to replace the heating element that got fried from voltage surges. Make sure you have a clear understanding of the temp on your grate using a wireless reader.

As for fat side up or down. You'll get 50% of people saying up, the other fat down. One tip someone gave me on this board is to get an aluminum tin tray that has raised ridges inside or use a cookie rack. When you wrap (or any time before) you can put it in the aluminum that will act as a shield from the heat. By lifting the meat up off the direct heat surface it'll minimize that burnt fat layer. For me, I like to start fat side down so the presentation side gets a nice color then flip after wrapping.

What do you recommend for a wireless internal temp reader? I’ve actually already replaced my heating element (burnt out after 2nd cook) but always assume the digital reader isn’t necessarily 100% accurate on the grill.

Ziggy, my friend. Let's put another myth to rest involving spritzing. Spritzing does put moisture on the outside of the meat, but does absolutely nothing to keep or make the internal meat moist. In fact, there are studies that indicate if may accelerate moisture loss due to evaporative cooling.

Smoke particles will stick to the moisture when the meat is spritzed. When the moisture evaporates from the surface of the meat, some of the smoke remains behind. If the spritz contains flavor elements, they may remain behind, too. That's the only benefit from spritzing. You're adding to the flavor profile and making the meat taste smokier. I've blind tested that last point with my supertaster wife and she could always tell when I spritzed or used water in my water pan. "This meat is too smoky. What'd you do different?"

As stated above, spritzing the outside of the meat does nothing to keep the internal meat moist. If it did, a pot roast of brisket or chuck braised in beef broth would never taste dry and tough. The only elements in the broth that penetrate the meat are the salts. Water conducts heat 25 times faster than air. That's why a pot roast will be juicy and probe tender in 212F water in about 2-4 hours instead of 10-14 on the 250F smoker. If you take the pot roast out of the water before it probes tender, it will taste dry and tough because the collagen hasn't melted.

I never spritz, except for specific flavor profiles on a double smoked ham.. Spritzing to keep the inside of meat moist is another myth that needs to go away.

Bingo, what noboundaries noboundaries said!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: noboundaries
What do you recommend for a wireless internal temp reader? I’ve actually already replaced my heating element (burnt out after 2nd cook) but always assume the digital reader isn’t necessarily 100% accurate on the grill.

There's a few threads on everyone's personal faves. I use the probe on the GMG which alerts me on my phone when it reaches a defined temp. I also use a ThermoPro wifi thermostat that sits on the grate.

I too have a Green Mountain Grill and have also smoked 6 briskets. Half were done fat side up and the other half fat side down. After the last one I had an epiphany. The pellet smokers use convection heat, which is different than the heat generated by an offset wood smoker.

Convection cooking is pretty different as it turns out. Placing the fat facing the heat source makes sense with wood smokers, but with convection heat circulates differently. If you've ever cooked in a convection oven there's a difference in how it cooks. Convection heat circulates and cooks food more evenly, but it can also cook faster. We've tested this theory with Thanksgiving turkey. Convection really do cook faster with indirect heat.

After experimenting I've found the fat side up on the pellet smokers produces a better end result that's more tender and juicy. As Al pointed out that melting fat "bastes" the meat.

I always put the fat cap toward the heat source, but I also put a bunch of trimmed fat on a rack above the brisket so as it melts it drips down on the brisket.
Al
Holy #$*^ Al! I do the same exact thing! I've never heard of anybody else doing this. Brilliant minds...

I've done it both ways. Not a pellet grill though.
It all depends on your grill. My current smoker has a lot of heat coming from the bottom. So if I smoke fat side up, the bottom of usually a little over done and dry.
If I smoke fat side down, it comes out very nice both to and bottom.

So it depends on your smoker.

I always put the fat cap toward the heat source, but I also put a bunch of trimmed fat on a rack above the brisket so as it melts it drips down on the brisket.
Al
Hey Al, I've been cooking on a Lang 48 for 2 years now and its an absolute joy to run. I cook my brisket fat side up on the left side of the cook chamber with the point facing the firebox. Do you recommend that positioning or do you think the point should be facing the other direction, away from the firebox? I've always had good results. I'm just curious if maybe I should turn it so the point is opposite the firebox. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated. Happy New Year.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky