Brisket done, but I think too early

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cconk454

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 27, 2007
I put a 13 pound brisket on at midnight with the thermo stuck in the flat end, it is 10:15 in the morning and the brisket is sitting at 190 degrees. Can this be right. I seared it off nice and black last night and threw it on at 12. I kept the temps right at about 240 for the entire time. Please help

My only thought might be to check the temp in another part on the meat and also do you know if the temp gauge on the smoker is calibrated just my .02 Good luck

If you seared the brisket it is possible that it is done. Did you smoke it in a pan or directly on the grate? Also does the temp probe slide in without resistance? Did you check the temp in the thickest part of the brisket and not in a fat layer?

Take your probe or a meta fork and see if it slides into the side of the brisket like warm butter, if so its done.

If not your probe may be in a fat pocket. If so poke the brisket in another place.

Mike

Well ladies and gents, I took the temp in four different places and it is officially over 190 degrees. So it is now wrapped in foil in a cooler stuffed with blankets. I forgot to mention that I also did a 13 pound pork butt at the same time as the brisket and it is done now as well. Wrapped in foil in a cooler stuffed with blankets. The festivities kick off at about 6:30 tonight, so I was just fixing on leaving my two products in the coolers till then. I am going to start two trays of beans in the smoker at about 430 so it should be some good eats tonight. I will take pictures when I pull everything from the cooler. Now I am going to go take a nap as I can barely see straight. Everyone on this site rocks, thanks a ton.....chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky