Brined, Baconed and Barbequed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Brined, Baconed and Barbequed

Smoked Venison Roasts
Pommes Fondant
Fried Squash
And an assortment of leftovers from yesterday's taco feast.

Two venison roasts wet brined in a seasoned brine for fifteen (15) hours.

Brine
1gal water
1c kosher salt
.5c seasoned salt
2T mixed peppercorns
3T dried onion
2T granulated garlic
3 bay leaves, whole dried
1T each, dried/crushed, sage, thyme, rosemary and whole celery seed
Bring all to boil for 2 minutes, stir well and then cool to room temp.

Then liberally dusted with an herb mix, wrapped in bacon and set in the smoker at 225° for one and half (1.5) hours.
After that I crank the heat up to 400° and finish to an IT of 130°-132°, carry over brought it right to 135° after a nice rest.
Sliced across the grain, this was so tender and juicy.

5BizNKvh.jpg

uSKYfO9h.jpg

Vm1Pkxoh.jpg

0Zab6oAh.jpg

vAncxWBh.jpg

Pommes Fondant aka Potatoes Fondant
Pkiw9c6h.jpg

Fried Squash
Yellow squash sliced thick using a crinkle cutter is the way to go.
Just a little butter in the frying pan, season with whatever ya like.
Cook over med-high heat and just get some color on both sides.
Don't overcook or ya wind up with a mushy veggie.

R3XdhSAh.jpg

The Money Shots

ohXMobVh.jpg

Ia0xbGih.jpg

Calling indaswamp indaswamp

Last edited:
Great looking venison, John!! Well really, it all looks great, but I see my slice of venison right there in the middle, cooked perfectly!

Reactions: chilerelleno
Looks fantastic! I love injecting venison roast and goose boobies with a brine before smoking! Makes ALL the difference in the world! Great cook!

Mmmm, backstrap and steak fries sounds delicious.

This was as close to butter tender venison as I've ever eaten. Brining really does a nice job tenderizing.
I have no doubt it was delicious with your skills. I know you have talked about it, but go ahead and get a sous vide brah.....it will blow your mind. It was made for game meats....no joke.

Thanks, it was tasty, and I've leftovers for a midnight snack and lunch... Love my leftovers.

You and I both, 2022 sucked.
Leftovers make up the bulk of my meals! All of it looks great man. I'd love to try some venison like that. I haven't had elk or venison in quite awhile.

Wow what a great looking plate! I’ve never eaten venison cooked med rare like this. I bet it is wonderful though.

Fred

Nailed it! Everything looks pretty awesome. Got to do those potatoes again. I had couple pieces of venison left from steaks couple days ago. Cut into bites size and chicken fried. Man where they good. I may do the whole thing like that next time.

Once again my friend, you do not disappoint. That is a fantastic looking meal and the meat is cooked to perfection. Nothing at all about that plate not to love. Roll out the red carpet....I'm headed your way for the leftovers :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Great looking venison, John!! Well really, it all looks great, but I see my slice of venison right there in the middle, cooked perfectly!
LOL, just one slice?
Thanks Charles!
Great looking meal!

Jim
Thank you Jim!
Looks fantastic! I love injecting venison roast and goose boobies with a brine before smoking! Makes ALL the difference in the world! Great cook!
Thank you.
I often inject whole birds, but everything else gets either dry or wet brined.
Yep, makes a huge difference.
That is a wild money shot for sure chiler! I do like the brine and wrap!
Thanks man, appreciate it.
Brine and wrap is my go-to for venison roasts that are for slicing.

Reactions: civilsmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky