Breakfast Quiche W/ Homemade Dried Beef...WOW!! (W/ Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That quiche looks amazing!

It has me so hungry now that I would steal a piece off Metallica’s plate while watching Chile and Preach duke it out!

Like!

Just a couple of questions

How big is the cast iron dish?

My original thinking was 8 x 8 or so. But now I'm wondering if it's actually smaller?

How much meat did put in I'm guessing about a half lb or so?

I have a 8 x 8 cassarolle dish that I'm thinking I could use to make this recipe, but would need to re calculate the ammount of ingredients if that is a bigger dish than what you used.

I'm thinking we could sell Tickets?!?!

Bear

I'd buy one! Watch the Carolina Reeper chomp off between Preacher Man and chilerelleno.
Who's pants will catch fire first? Film at 11!
I'll be back in row 4. I already know this Butt is going to be way too hot for me....

We have some little individual baking dishes this would be perfect to try in.
I'd have to Sans the hot stuff in hers. But it sounds like fun, over all!

Last edited:
"Just a couple of questions"
Apologies for the slow response. Been pretty crazy in my world recently :-)

"How big is the cast iron dish?"

The small cast iron dishes are about 4 x 4 x 1 1/2

"My original thinking was 8 x 8 or so. But now I'm wondering if it's actually smaller?"

The very first one of these I did was in a 9 x 9 baking dish. I used a large burrito sized tort to cover the bottom and used regular sized torts cut in half to line the sides. It came out great but was WAY more food than the two of us could eat. You'll be surprised at the density of this meal. It is very filling.

"How much meat did put in I'm guessing about a half lb or so?"

I didn't weight the meat but in the smaller ones posted here I'd guess it to be 4 to 5 ounces of meat. The first one in the 9x9 baking dish I used a full pound of meat and the full can of To Tel tomatoes.

"I have a 8 x 8 cassarolle dish that I'm thinking I could use to make this recipe, but would need to re calculate the ammount of ingredients if that is a bigger dish than what you used."

Nah....I didn't post any amounts so just wing it. You'll be fine. In the larger one, as stated above, I used a full pound of meat, the full can of Ro Tel tomatoes, 5 beaten eggs with a splash of milk, and a cup of cottage cheese mixed into the eggs before pouring into the dish. From there, just use as much cheese, black pepper, green onions, etc...that you want to make it how you want it to be.

Hoping to help a bit,
Robert

Great idea with a thin tortilla. I'm not a big fan with breakfast casseroles that have pieces of bread throughout it and the obvious slipped my mind. I've done a few fatties in the past but seem to like all the components of them cooked separately more so I phased them out. I'd like to do your Quiche in my Mes electric smoker closer to the element to get to 375* or grill. Looks great!

Looks great, did you make the dried beef yourself? Around the holidays in Wisconsin we would use dried beef to make cheeseballs and when I moved to Denver last year I had to go to a couple of stores just to find it. Next year will make my own but you have kick started that into the near future just for some quiche.

That looks like an amazing breakfast/brunch meal! I'll have mine with rye toast please!

Looks great. I like the Tortilla crust and a deep dish quiche. Nothing wimpy about quiche. It's just a thick baked Omelette...JJ

around here, you get two kinds of omelets. the flat egg tortilla wrapped around the fillings, and the Quiche kind where the innerds are mixed with the eggs and baked or grilled.

depending on what's in 'em, I like 'em both!
But my preference, if I have a choice, is the quiche style! with hollandaize (sp?) sauce slathered on top. Or a nice flavourful light gravy.

Looks great, did you make the dried beef yourself? Around the holidays in Wisconsin we would use dried beef to make cheeseballs and when I moved to Denver last year I had to go to a couple of stores just to find it. Next year will make my own but you have kick started that into the near future just for some quiche.

If you need another kick start, here's a starter:
Smoked Dried Beef #1

Bear

"Don't you mean, "Whole Hawg" ?"

:emoji_laughing: Ducks... runs....:emoji_wink:

RUN SONNY......RUN!!! And watch out for flying lead :emoji_anguished:

"Looks great, did you make the dried beef yourself? Around the holidays in Wisconsin we would use dried beef to make cheeseballs and when I moved to Denver last year I had to go to a couple of stores just to find it. Next year will make my own but you have kick started that into the near future just for some quiche."

Yes, as the title implies, the dried beef was in fact homemade....and extremely easy to do. I got the inspiration from a post by Holly2015, asked a question, and got a reply from him as well as Bearcarver. Turns out that the recipe posted by Holly2015 was a slightly modified version of Bearcarver's. The stuff is absolutely amazing!! You'll see a post from Bear preceding this one with a link to his recipe and technique. Follow it.....you will not be disappointed. Bear knows what he's doing here!! On another note, one of the servers at my favorite little pub also makes a cheese ball with dried beef. I gave her a package of my homemade stuff for her holiday dinner cheese ball. She said it was the very best one she'd ever made. The stuff is that good :emoji_blush:

Robert

One of my friends Mom made a simple Cheese Spread of finely chopped Dried Beef and Scallions, mixed into Cream Cheese. I couldn't stop eating the stuff!...JJ

"One of my friends Mom made a simple Cheese Spread of finely chopped Dried Beef and Scallions, mixed into Cream Cheese. I couldn't stop eating the stuff!...JJ"

Jimmy....that sounds virtually identical to the way my server said hers was done. I may just have to give this one a run. Never done it before but it sure sounds good.

Hmmmmm....
Robert

Robert, I was holding a Poker Party at our house. I made a variety of fancier finger foods. That Crazy Simple Dry Beef Cheese Ball was the biggest hit!
Another popular Dip with my family is, chopped Shrimp or Krab and Cocktail Sauce beaten into Cream Cheese. It can be made thick for a Spread, a high percentage of Cheese and Seafood. Or thinned for a Chip Dip, add a higher amount of Cocktail Sauce...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky