Beef Bacon - first try

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

edmonds

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 6, 2020
Huntsville, AL
From our last processed Dexter steer, we got one side of beef navel cut into halves. The other side was cut into our usual short plate (dino) ribs.
I really like the ribs but was willing to sacrifice some for a navel to make bacon with.
Son #2 was visiting for the holidays so good time to give it a try.
I cut one of my navel cuts into halves again, so these 2 slabs are each 1/8th of the cow's navel/belly.

P1060372.jpeg

Cured, dried, and smoked at 200-225F with hickory to IT=150.
P1060377.jpeg

One slab was kinda fatty but still fried up good
P1060388.jpeg

and made for some tasty beef bacon.
P1060390 (1).jpeg

The other slab was leaner (or maybe it depends on how you slice it?)
P1060392.jpeg

and also made some wonderful bacon.
P1060399 (1).jpeg

Breakfast with scrambled poblano eggs.
P1060405.jpeg

Attachments

• P1060390.jpeg
    P1060390.jpeg
    155.9 KB · Views: 9
  • P1060399.jpeg
    P1060399.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 6
You are a food artist, sir; the scrambled eggs plate looks like a Rembrandt!

Pretty much impossible to get beef navel near where I live and the price of show-off navel is absurd - the absolute best cut there is for pastrami.

Reactions: JLeonard
Man that looks good. I’ll take a double on that breakfast plate. I bet that bacon would make some great BLTs.

Jim

WOW Steve that looks really good , love the eggs also
on my list to try as I just did up my first BuckBoard Bacon last week
So now I must try beef
David
Beef is very different from pork. The fat has a higher melting point so doesn't crisp the same way.
Very nice.
thanks
You are a food artist, sir; the scrambled eggs plate looks like a Rembrandt!
Pretty much impossible to get beef navel near where I live and the price of show-off navel is absurd - the absolute best cut there is for pastrami.
I got more navel in the fridge. May try doing pastrami next time instead of bacon.
Looks like you nailed it... nice job!
Ryan
thanks
Looks fantastic! I need to try this sooner or later.
Relatively easy. Kinda like making pastrami.
Man that looks good. I’ll take a double on that breakfast plate. I bet that bacon would make some great BLTs.
Jim
I can't bring myself to eat BLTs with store bought tomatoes, so will have to wait.
Fantastic as usual .
Thanks
Oh that Dexter is the breed that sure gives a great selection of cuts
That navel would make some wonderful traditional pastrami too
Will have to try making some pastrami. Out Dexters usually give some nice marbling, but sometimes a little too much.

Beef is very different from pork. The fat has a higher melting point so doesn't crisp the same way.

thanks

I got more navel in the fridge. May try doing pastrami next time instead of bacon.

thanks

Relatively easy. Kinda like making pastrami.

I can't bring myself to eat BLTs with store bought tomatoes, so will have to wait.

Thanks

Will have to try making some pastrami. Out Dexters usually give some nice marbling, but sometimes a little too much.
If your beef navel is "too marbled" for your liking, I know a guy that would love to buy it... :emoji_sunglasses:

Great looking BB! I cook mine at a lower temperature longer to get the fat to crisp up.
So i discovered. Beef fat has a higher melting temperature and needs more time to render and get crispy.

If your beef navel is "too marbled" for your liking, I know a guy that would love to buy it... :emoji_sunglasses:
Oh yeah? And who could that be? You know, it should be cheap since it's so fatty. But seems that most cuts that used to be cheap are now pricey.

Mouth watering pics
Thanks

Oh heck yeah, Steve!!
Thanks.

WOW!
Now that looks like something I need to try.
Never had beef bacon before.
Give it a try. I had never had any before either.
There are 2 ways to do it: cold smoke (I am not set up for this) and hot smoke, in which you smoke at 200F or so to an IT=150.

That looks great! I may need to finally try beef bacon.
- Jason
Yea, try it. I think you can also use a brisket point.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky