Boston Butt (Pulled Pork @ 265° Smoker Temp)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yeah--Speaking of which---A Buck just strolled through my front yard about 15 minutes ago, but it wasn't a Giant.
Bear Jr is a "Trophy" hunter during Archery season, and turns "Meat" hunter later during Rifle season.

Bear

Wishing him well, all I've seen in the fields around here are doe's and fawns. No buck sightings.

Chris

John Nice job on the PP nothing wrong with cooking at that temp.I did a Pastrami last week like that. LIKES
Richie

Great Lookin PP Bear. That bark looks so yummy.

I would have got some butts but I have 2 and a half pigs in the freezer.

Thank You Adam!!
LOL---You cheat--Raising your own little Piggies!!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Ha must of been a sleep at the wheel I missed this. Any left overs now? I will be in Pa Saturday. As usual another fine cook by the Bear.

Warren

Ha must of been a sleep at the wheel I missed this. Any left overs now? I will be in Pa Saturday. As usual another fine cook by the Bear.

Warren

Thank You Warren!!
Leftovers are Frozen.
Working on other stuff now.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Looks good as always.

Would you say the taste/juiciness was different from your previous smokes at 225? Or about the same?

Thank You Mike!!
I would have to say everything was about the same with 225°, 240°, and 265°.

Bear

Nice looking pulled pork Bear!

Those leftovers will reheat well in your SV, but PP seems to reheat good any method.

Butts are $1.40/lb here. It’s crazy how much price fluctuates being only one hour away.

I might have to reheat some pulled pork leftovers when I get back from FL. Not much in the house right now.

Like!

The pulled pork looks great Bear! I just bought 4 butts from Kroger at $.99/lb that I'm about to smoke.... Coaching High School Football is getting in the way of my smoking. Just qualified for the playoffs and added at least a week to my season. I'll be smoking them in the snow in a little while! Like

Nice looking pulled pork Bear!

Those leftovers will reheat well in your SV, but PP seems to reheat good any method.

Butts are $1.40/lb here. It’s crazy how much price fluctuates being only one hour away.

I might have to reheat some pulled pork leftovers when I get back from FL. Not much in the house right now.

Like!

Thank You Xray!!
We always reheat Pulled Pork in the Nuke-U-Later, because we heat enough for 1 Sammy at a time.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

The pulled pork looks great Bear! I just bought 4 butts from Kroger at $.99/lb that I'm about to smoke.... Coaching High School Football is getting in the way of my smoking. Just qualified for the playoffs and added at least a week to my season. I'll be smoking them in the snow in a little while! Like

Thank You Coach!!
Best of Luck in the Playoffs!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Boston Butt (Pulled Pork @ 265° Smoker Temp)

There are many ways to Smoke Pulled Pork, But I don’t like to do overnight Smokes, so since this Butt was 9.2 pounds, I figured I’d try to get it done for Supper (about 4 to 5PM).
Knowing I could easily “hold” it if it finishes to early, I got up at 4:15 AM and started my MES 40 at 4:20. It was 32° on my Front Smoking Porch!

I set it at a Temp that would give me a True 265° with my Accurate Maverick ET-732.
I also filled my AMNPS with Hickory Pellets, and as always, lit one end.

Meanwhile, while that stuff heats up, I’ll tell you about what happened before Smoking Day:
So a few days earlier, I saw the lowest price I’ve seen in my entire 9 year Smoking History, as "Weis" Market had Pork Butts for 97¢ a pound.
Butts are always at least $2 per pound, and usually $3 or even more!!
Since Mrs Bear was going there anyway, I told her to get me 3 Butts at about 8 lbs each. She brought me 3 butts at about 8, 9, and 10 lbs. (Good Girl)
I decided to Bag & freeze the smaller one for another time, Split the biggest one for Buckboard Bacon, and make some Pulled Pork from the 9.2 pounder.

Prepping the 9.2 pound Butt:

Rinse, pat dry, coat with Yellow Mustard, Apply Rub, put on Wire Cooling Rack in a Foil Pan.
Cover with Plastic Wrap.
Put in Fridge for overnight rest.

Smoking Day: (32° outside @ 4:20 AM)
4:20 AM——Preheat MES at 265°, Fill AMNPS with Hickory Pellets, and Light one end.
5:00 AM——Put Meat Pan on Rack #2 of my 6 rack MES, and AMNPS on right end of my bottom rack (pull dumper out 3” & rotate 180°).
8:00 AM——Sterilize my clean Maverick probe with alcohol wipe, and insert probe into center of Roast. IT is 106°.
8:30 AM——IT is 122°.
9:00 AM——IT is 135°.
9:30 AM——IT is 145°.
10:00 AM—-IT is 152°.
10:30 AM—-IT is 160°.
11:00 AM—-IT is 165°.
11:30 AM—-IT is 168°.——Add 8 ounces of Apple Juice, and Cover Butt & Pan with Double Foil.
12:00 PM—-IT is 171°.
1:00 PM——IT is 183°.
1:45 PM——IT is 192°.
2:30 PM——IT is 198°.
3:00 PM——IT is 200°.——Turn heat down to 150°.
4:00 PM——IT is 198°.——Remove from Smoker.

Remove Bone from Roast, Pull Butt, save pan juices in fridge.
Time to eat!!!

Note: I only got 7 hours out of my full AMNPS of Hickory pellets, due to the higher heat than I normally use, and the Wind, but that was actually perfect, just in time for adding Juice & Foiling the Butt.

Thanks for Dropping by!

Bear

Three Little Pigs! About 8, 9, and 10 pounds @ 97¢. Middle one this time:
View attachment 378758

Nice 9.2 pound Pork Butt:

View attachment 378759

Cross-hatch cut into meat:
View attachment 378760

Covered with Yellow Mustard:
View attachment 378761

Covered with Rub, and put on Wire cooling rack, in a Foil Pan:
View attachment 378762

AMNPS filled with Hickory pellets & one end lit:
View attachment 378763

Old Glory shows how Windy the 32° Air was @ 4:30 AM.
View attachment 378764

Butt occupying Rack position #2 of my 6 rack MES 40:
View attachment 378765

Butt ready for Foiling:
View attachment 378766

Fresh from Smoker with nice Bark & lots of Liquid Gold in the pan:
View attachment 378767

Ready to be Pulled. Gotta try Bear Jr's "Bear Claws":
View attachment 378768

Bone came out nice & clean:
View attachment 378769

Pulled Real Easy:
View attachment 378771

Lots of Bark in Bear's first Sammy. Mrs Bear's Special Sauce + Frank's used:
View attachment 378772

First half of Bear's Supper:
View attachment 378773

Second half of Bear's Supper:
View attachment 378774

Packed for Fridge. Left container for Bear & Mrs Bear----Right container is for Bear Jr & His Wife:
View attachment 378775

Well, I certainly didn't mean to quote this, but I haven't figured out how to not quote.

I got the 8.66 pounder out of the fridge and started to prep it, way too late in the morning. But that's okay, since it was rudely still frozen solid in the middle. Thus, it is cooking for about 200 years in the crock pot until it is thawed. I got out some butterflied pork chops to smoke this afternoon.

I will get another pork shoulder, only this time, I won't toss it in the freezer. I will prep it the day before and get up way too early to get it started.

I deeply appreciate all the help!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky