Birch

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingd

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Vegreville, AB, Canada
So I am a huge fan of using birch for my smoke I have always peeled the bark does anyone know if this is neccesary I am going to try with bark on today and real don't want to kill myself. So far the smoke smells great and none of the black gross looking smoke typical of birch bark. Any opinions are welcome and thanks

Love birch too. I had always heard that birch bark was very bitter so I usually burn it off before I start cooking with it, easier than peeling or cutting it off.
Be sure to let us know if it made any difference.

I am surrounded by white birch trees, literally. It seems that white birch trees grow like weeds in the left over culm/waste from processing hard coal here in North East Pennsylvania. I am going to cut some and season it for next years smoke season. I never thought of removing the bark.

I have seen birch at the wood super store in the past but I have never tried it but hearing you guys I might have to pick some up. What's it good with ?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky