Finally smoked a whole packer brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texas smokin

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 16, 2022
Dallas-Fort Worth
Was able to smoke a flat a month or so ago but finally knocked out a full one last night/today on my Yoder ys640.
  • Trimmed and seasoned yesterday afternoon (16 mesh black pepper and some Meat Church Holy Cow). Let it sit in the fridge for about 6 hours.
  • Put it on the pit around 10:00 last night at 200 to let it run through the night so I could get my beauty sleep!!
  • Cranked it up to 250 this morning to take it up to 170 IT in the thickest part of the flat.
  • Started probing and checking the bark and pulled at 180.
  • At that point I wrapped it in butcher paper and beef tallow.
  • Took it to 200 and started probing for tenderness. Finished around 203 -204.
Pretty pleased with my first attempt overall. Loved the flavor, tenderness and color of the bark. Next time I want to get the bark a little firmer.

Attachments

• 20230528_180008.jpg
    20230528_180008.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 20230528_175750~2.jpg
    20230528_175750~2.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 55
That's a mighty fine looking brisket. Love the ring, the bark and the juiciness. Well done!

Reactions: texas smokin
Was able to smoke a flat a month or so ago but finally knocked out a full one last night/today on my Yoder ys640.
  • Trimmed and seasoned yesterday afternoon (16 mesh black pepper and some Meat Church Holy Cow). Let it sit in the fridge for about 6 hours.
  • Put it on the pit around 10:00 last night at 200 to let it run through the night so I could get my beauty sleep!!
  • Cranked it up to 250 this morning to take it up to 170 IT in the thickest part of the flat.
  • Started probing and checking the bark and pulled at 180.
  • At that point I wrapped it in butcher paper and beef tallow.
  • Took it to 200 and started probing for tenderness. Finished around 203 -204.
Pretty pleased with my first attempt overall. Loved the flavor, tenderness and color of the bark. Next time I want to get the bark a little firmer.
Good job!

It's nice to start knocking down briskets and getting good results.
Sounds like you may be wrapping at 190F in the future for more bark :D

I'm looking forward to seeing the next one you crank out :)

Good job!

It's nice to start knocking down briskets and getting good results.
Sounds like you may be wrapping at 190F in the future for more bark :D

I'm looking forward to seeing the next one you crank out :)
Thank you!! And yeah, I think that's a good idea to tweak the process so the bark sets up a little firmer.

Anyone smoke a full brisket with no wrap at all and like the results?

Looks good. Butcher paper will also give better bark. Looks like you sliced more with grain. I cut a little slice on corner against grain so you know how to slice flat after smoke. Here the last one I did. See bottom left.

IMG_20230525_172425509_HDR.jpg

Looks good. Butcher paper will also give better bark. Looks like you sliced more with grain. I cut a little slice on corner against grain so you know how to slice flat after smoke. Here the last one I did. See bottom left.

View attachment 666956
Thanks. I actually used butcher paper as well. I was also careful to carve against the grain on both the flat and point. I use that little trick you highlight as well; makes it easier when the brisket is fully cooked with a good, dark bark.

Thank you!! And yeah, I think that's a good idea to tweak the process so the bark sets up a little firmer.

Anyone smoke a full brisket with no wrap at all and like the results?
I go no-wrap the whole time. It makes the best brisket to me, BUT I also rock an MES so I don't really have any issues with retaining moisture in my smoker. Other types of smokers may get different unwrapped results if it's a much dryer cooking system.

Also, I carve away the thin end of the Flat muscle and repurpose that good meat to make stews, braises, grind, etc.

That thin portion of the flat never comes out right for me compared to the other thicker portions of the brisket.
I trim my briskets to remove that tin portion of the flat leaving behind very uniform thickness in the flat muscle so I it all comes out well. The flat muscle is always a problem. The point is never an issue.

Here is an image of what I mean.
I trim off the green portion and in a "U" type shape since corners/edges dry up but curves let air flow more easily to not dry up the same way.
full-png.png

Reactions: 02ebz06
I go no-wrap the whole time. It makes the best brisket to me, BUT I also rock an MES so I don't really have any issues with retaining moisture in my smoker. Other types of smokers may get different unwrapped results if it's a much dryer cooking system.

Also, I carve away the thin end of the Flat muscle and repurpose that good meat to make stews, braises, grind, etc.

That thin portion of the flat never comes out right for me compared to the other thicker portions of the brisket.
I trim my briskets to remove that tin portion of the flat leaving behind very uniform thickness in the flat muscle so I it all comes out well. The flat muscle is always a problem. The point is never an issue.

Here is an image of what I mean.
I trim off the green portion and in a "U" type shape since corners/edges dry up but curves let air flow more easily to not dry up the same way.
View attachment 666958
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will give the no wrap a try next time. What temp do you run your pit at? And do you spritz or use a water pan?

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will give the no wrap a try next time. What temp do you run your pit at? And do you spritz or use a water pan?
I run an MES and no water pan or spritzing at all. The MES holds moisture super well so it's not needed. Stick burners and pellet grills may have to do something with a water pan and moisture management.

I run it at a dead on 275F smoker temp. My MES is rewired and uses a PID controller so it hits and holds dead on!

Now, I have started a new approach (about 3-4 briskets done this new way) that is showing promising results but I need to do like another 2 briskets before I feel it is consistent and repeatable.

I've noticed that SOMETIMES I can get a little bit too barky/crusty on some outer parts of my flat muscle when doing my unwrapped briskets. Think like a 2 inch spot here, a 2 inch spot there, but never like a whole section. Just splotches.
It's not bad and not every time, but I've been experimenting to consistently eliminate those spots.

This new promising approach is simply turning the brisket fat side down towards the heat source (not a new idea) AND taking plenty of trimmed fat and laying on top of the muscle side of the flat muscle (this is the new trick).

Having the fat towards the heat source protects the meat from getting too crusty or burning up because the fat takes the brunt of the heat AND since it's fat it has all the grease and juices right there for the meat under the fat.
I took that concept and just started laying trimmed fat on the meat side around the edges of the flat and along the flat where there is no Point muscle on the opposite side. When the flat and point come together there is a layer of fat between them that helps the flat muscle so it has more protection there with fat, point, fat, then flat muscle.
Where the other portion of the flat is is just fat then flat muscle.
So now I have this extra layer of grease, juices, and heat protection when I am laying this trimmed fat on top of the muscle side of the flat!

That fat renders and shrivels up into beef cracklings and shrivels up(my buddy is now in love with eating those pieces of beef fat cracklins lol).
It does NOT prevent color or bark but instead seems to be ensuring that I am not getting any extra crusty/barky spots. So far results seem good!

I think another 2-3 briskets done this way will give me a reliable idea on how much or how little fat to meat coverage I need when laying the fat on the muscle side of the flat of the brisket!

Just an FYI, I do about 1 brisket a month since I live in brisket country and sales happen about every 2 months or so on brisket.

Anyhow I'm rambling now, but I hope this gives you an idea of how much brisket cooking and tweaking I go through when needed :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky