Brisket ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rw 12

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 8, 2024
Brisket point only flat sux you can have it! 10 hr smoke at 225 wrapped in butcher paper at 165 off at 203 wrapped on towel in cooler for four hr rest . It was juicy great bark great flavor just more chewy than i like! Not tuff just a lil chewy. I cook by internal meat temp not time first one ever turmed out this way did nothing different. Yall think maybe it was the cow? Lol!

Reactions: JLeonard
Yup, what Jake said. The temp is just to let you know you are close. I start paying attention about 200* IT but from there to finish is all probe feel. The probe should go in and out like pushing a skewer into a jar of peanut butter. Doing this you may even discover that the flat is very delicious. May finish at 203 or 205 or even 210* but the probe has final say not the temp.

Thanks yall no i did not do that with the probe i know next time!

If you get in the habit of that and learn what perfect doneness feels like on a probe or a skewer you’ll never have to guess or be surprised.
Agree, plus every once in a while you get an ornery piece of meat and it just needs to keep cooking until it probes tender, no temp to follow there.

Reactions: TNJAKE
If you get in the habit of that and learn what perfect doneness feels like on a probe or a skewer you’ll never have to guess or be surprised.
Thanks first time i have ran into the problem. But ill def try that i was just scared to let it go above 203 i didnt wana over cook it .

Thanks first time i have ran into the problem. But ill def try that i was just scared to let it go above 203 i didnt wana over cook it .
As stated temps are a guideline, probing briskets and butts Is the true test of doneness.

Another tip, I run all my briskets and butts at 275. Shaves a lot of time off and the end product is same and low and slow at 225.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky