How do I make less bark on my ribs.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RJB

Original poster
Dec 8, 2022
I hate heavy bark on my smoked ribs. I have a green mountain pellet smoker and a Traeger. I used a water pan, and only used salt and pepper for seasoning. I tried adjusting the time and temp for the first hour of smoking. The last set of ribs I followed the Mad Scientist BBQ tips os slow smoke at 225 for 4 hours, then one hour at 275, and then paper wrap for an additional hour. These were the worst ribs ever. The bark was like beef Jerkey. I've done the 3,2,1 method with similar results. Personally, I have hard crusty meat. My preference is well-cooked, well-flavored softer meat.

I just purchased some ribs from Argentina for my next smoke, and I don't want beef jerky crust on the meat.

My thoughts are low smoke for an hour then wrap for the remaining time until the meat is done. Giving less time for a thick crusty bark. I want firm ribs, not mushy ribs, but definitely do not want beef Jerky Bark.

Yes, I went through the long process of calibrating the smokers' temp so they are spot on.

Any suggestion would help out greatly and thanks in advance.

You can try spritzing every 1/2 hour or so. What type ribs ya using, baby backs will dry out quicker then st. Louis or spares

Except he said all he used is salt and pepper.
Good catch thanks it’s been a long day or week for that manner I need a beer. On that note maybe in a foil pan with a liquid until the desired smokiness is achieved then cover with foil. The op is using pink paper which is preferred for thick bark imo

Reactions: Nefarious
Good catch thanks it’s been a long day or week for that manner I need a beer. On that note maybe in a foil pan with a liquid until the desired smokiness is achieved then cover with foil. The op is using pink paper which is preferred for thick bark imo
I think that some amount of wrapping will solve his problem

If you’re doing St. Louis or baby back ribs, cooking them for 6 hours is likely 2 long. I usually do them for around 4.5 hours at 225-250. You can also try doing 2 hours unwrapped, 2 hours wrapped In foil, and 30min-1hoir unwrapped after you but your bbq sauce on it. Add a little apple juice or something in when you wrap them too.

Go a little lighter on the pepper, keep your temps at 225 degrees through out the cook.
Spritz with water often and wrapping them to finish off the cook should keep a heavy bark from forming. Should take approx. 5 hours total time depending on the ribs.

#1 , verify your pit temp with a digital thermometer. May be running way hotter than indicated. Wrap at about 3 hr mark. 2 hr mark if baby backs.

3 hours unwrapped at 225. 2 hours wrapped with your sauce ,butcher paper or aluminum foil @225. 1 hour unwrapped Xauce again @225 . Always spritze with Apple cider and apple cider vinegar when unwrapped . This will produce fall off the bone ribs. No heavy bark . Oh yeah feel free to use your favorite rub with yellow mustard from get go if desired . Always remove silver skin. 225 is magic number .

Here's what I did today. Baby Back Ribs, I used light rub, ( not as heavy in the past) I smoked them uncovered meat side up, at 175 for only 1 hour. Then I double foil-wrapped them with honey, brown sugar, a little more rub, and South Chicago Packing Wagyu Beef Tallow. I put them back on the (calibrated smoker) at 225 with an internal thermometer until temps reached 104. This my friends is the rib I've been searching for. I can't thank you enough for all the suggestions. The meat literally falls off the bone. Some people don't like the fall off the bone, but I do. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Reactions: Saul D and Redicans
Here's what I did today. Baby Back Ribs, I used light rub, ( not as heavy in the past) I smoked them uncovered meat side up, at 175 for only 1 hour. Then I double foil-wrapped them with honey, brown sugar, a little more rub, and South Chicago Packing Wagyu Beef Tallow. I put them back on the (calibrated smoker) at 225 with an internal thermometer until temps reached 104. This my friends is the rib I've been searching for. I can't thank you enough for all the suggestions. The meat literally falls off the bone. Some people don't like the fall off the bone, but I do. Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Nice RJB! You found a system that works for you. That's what its all about I think. Finding what you like and enjoying what you smoked. Everyones tastes are different.

Reactions: gmc2003
The lady who taught me how to do ribs said "Always keep their feet wet". When she foiled them she'd cup the bottom and add a little water in the trough. Sometimes she would add a little cider or bourbon as well. Thanks Shirley RIP.

Reduce your foil time if you do it this way or they'll fall off the bone. Moisture sucks right up the marrow.

Reactions: Saul D
Until the IT reached 104º ? Maybe the 104 is a typo? This is pork, minimum safe consumable I believe is 140ish. For those you have used a temp guideline around here I believe the desired finishing IT is 195º.

Until the IT reached 104º ? Maybe the 104 is a typo? This is pork, minimum safe consumable I believe is 140ish. For those you have used a temp guideline around here I believe the desired finishing IT is 195º.
Yes typo 204 was my target temp

The lady who taught me how to do ribs said "Always keep their feet wet". When she foiled them she'd cup the bottom and add a little water in the trough. Sometimes she would add a little cider or bourbon as well. Thanks Shirley RIP.

Reduce your foil time if you do it this way or they'll fall off the bone. Moisture sucks right up the marrow.
What I used in the past was Pineapple juice which seemed to really break down the tough meat. The Tallow I figured would take the place of the liquid, and it seemed to do the trick. I think next run I'll do tallow and pineapple juice.

3 hours unwrapped at 225. 2 hours wrapped with your sauce ,butcher paper or aluminum foil @225. 1 hour unwrapped Xauce again @225 . Always spritze with Apple cider and apple cider vinegar when unwrapped . This will produce fall off the bone ribs. No heavy bark . Oh yeah feel free to use your favorite rub with yellow mustard from get go if desired . Always remove silver skin. 225 is magic number .
I'll give that one a try. I've done what seems like 25 rib experiments to date, always changing something to get that perfect rib. I'm getting close. I'll give this one a try.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky