Best Yard Bird Yet!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

masondixon

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Decided to do a couple yard birds for Sunday Family Dinner and a little playoff football viewing. Started Friday night by prepping the wet brine and sending two young chickens into the bath over night. Pulled them out Saturday night. Spatchcocked them, sprinkled a little kosher salt into the skin, and set them back in the fridge, uncovered, to dry over night. Sunday morning made up some compound butter with Penzeys Northwoods seasoning. Rubbed the butter liberally under the skin on the breasts and thighs. Then I sprinkled more of the Penzys Northwoods all over the bird.
Birds buttered, spiced, and ready for some smoke!

At noon I fired up my Brinkman COS using KBB and a mix of apple and hickory chunks. After about 20 minutes the smoker was stabilized and up to temp, 325. Threw the birds on and let them ride right around 315. Added a few pecan chunks throughout the cook too. After about 2 hours the breast measured 165 IT. Pulled them off as the wife was finishing up the sides, baked beans, creamed spinach and coleslaw. Birds came out great! Probably the best chicken I've done so far. Tender, juicy and the skin, while not super crispy, was bite-through! A first for me. Now I gotta figure out what I'm doing to do for Super Bowl Sunday.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky