Beef Jerky: Ten Pounds, Two Types (with Pics)

Discussion in 'Making Jerky' started by couger78, Mar 23, 2013.

1. couger78

couger78 Smoking Fanatic

Certainly, with the exception of the cure. I always do CURE amounts by weight (grams), not volume.

Kevin

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  2. beef77

beef77 Smoke Blower

Great looking jerky!

3. thatcho

thatcho Meat Mopper

WOW!! Looking great.[​IMG]

4. hoity toit

hoity toit Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

that's how I do mine,,,,kind of on a 45 degree,,,better of both worlds. I have some in the smoker right now....

5. Looks good!!! I hope my duck turns out looking half as good as your jerky!

How long did you have it in the smoker total? Did you keep the temp at 150* the whole time?

Thanks.

6. How long should the meat marinate? Have it marinating since last night and am anxious to throw it in the smoker.

7. golson

golson Fire Starter

Kevin,
    I tried your recipe this wekend and my jerky did not even look like this. I had to smoke for about 12 hours at 150 to get them dried out. Maybe I am doing somethin wrong. After 5 hours my jerky was still moist. This was my first try at a wet marinade so maybe too much moisture in the meat?

8. humdinger

humdinger Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Golson,

Did you have a water pan going in the smoker while you were drying the jerky? Also how thick were your meat slices? 12 hours is quite a while to be smoking, so there is definitely something up there.

9. shoneyboy

shoneyboy Master of the Pit OTBS Member

:Looks-Great:

10. Good Looking product! What is that smoker?

11. buda q

buda q Smoke Blower

What is the "tried and true wooden toothpick method" mentioned for hanging the jerky on the rack? Have yet to make jerky, but I sure wanna!!

Keith

12. antler

antler Newbie

Looks great! what smoker do you use?

13. couger78

couger78 Smoking Fanatic

Masterbuilt ExtraWide

14. mickey jay

mickey jay Meat Mopper

I also use the MasterBuilt extra wide and can get 7.5lbs of jerky strips laid on the 4 included racks. Would like to buy a couple more racks specifically for jerky to get to an even ten lbs.

15. timsnewatsmokin

timsnewatsmokin Fire Starter

I did both recipes just like you said for the first jerky I've ever smoked and the flavors are great!! Thank you so much for sharing.

16. hextejas

hextejas Newbie

I did your peppered jerky recipe and I am a new hero to my wife who looovvvvvveeeeesssss jerky.

A few lessons learned were:

1) Try and keep a consistent length and thickness.

2) Try and fix my smoker so that I can keep a 150+/- temp. I think that is the reason mine came out so dark and crispy. The pictures are actually darker that in person. I had a hard time keeping it below 180.

The taste is great though a bit salty. I think that has to do with me not having a decent kitchen scale so I guessed at the weight of the meat. Someone stole it if you can imagine such a thing.

Question: Where do you keep the cooked jerky for later road trips ? In the fridge ? Will it spoil or get moldy if left outside the fridge ?

17. dtash

dtash Newbie

First time smoking jerky. Used the teriyaki brine with Instacure (no.1) which I bought on Amazon. Came out GREAT, delicious flavor. Only "mistake" was the pieces that I cut too thick, causing a slightly odd texture and red insides. Overall perfect instructions which I look forward to using again!!!!

18. Looks good. Just out of curiosity, why use so much sodium/ soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce if you are using nitrites? Do you not get a upfront soy sauce flavor?

19. oldcanalsmoke

oldcanalsmoke Fire Starter

How can I get a charcoal ECB to maintain the low temp consistantly? I just picked up a 1,100 watt hot plate. Should I run temp tests on the different settings then go from there? I plan to pick up the Amazn smoker too.

20. maxgunner

maxgunner Fire Starter

Just marinated and bagged 6 lbs of your terriyaki recipe.  Can't wait to see how it turns out.  My first jerky!