Beef Jerky: Ten Pounds, Two Types (with Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi cougar 78. Jerky looks great. Going to try my 1st batch as soon as I get my cute. I have a chubby and am wondering if I should remove the water pan or use it. Thanks for the great post.

Shore smoker

Shore, since we're drying out the strips for the jerky, i'd pull the water pan. Slow dry heat works just fine!

Good luck and have fun!

Kevin

Dude this look off the hook. 
Looks-Great.gif
drool.gif
banana_smiley.gif

I just wanted to give Couger78 a thumbs up for the Teriyaki Jerky Marinade recipie.    I've got some finishing up on the MES and tried a few pieces.  Delicious.  I may have to hide this from the wife and kids if I want any of it to last.    

Hi I made your pepper jerky recipe but changed it a little bit. I used half the chyenne and sprinkled cookies flavor enhancer on the meat during the marinade process. I tell you what it turned out great and I can't wait to make another batch!

I just wanted to give Couger78 a thumbs up for the Teriyaki Jerky Marinade recipie.    I've got some finishing up on the MES and tried a few pieces.  Delicious.  I may have to hide this from the wife and kids if I want any of it to last.    
I'm glad you enjoyed it! Ya can't go wrong with good teriyaki jerky! 
icon14.gif

Just made some more teriyaki. Started it out on the dehydrator and after three hours, moved it to the smoker. I've discovered that it easier getting it somewhat stiff first than hanging raw dripping meat in the smoker with toothpicks. Smoke for about three hours with hickory and what isn't done yet gets put back in the dehydrator. I also added some dry onion flakes. Everyone enjoys it.
3fc96144680883a222b987250c311e3d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fine looking jerky,Kevin.  Finish looks great.  I'm not a terryaki fan, but the black pepper jerky wouldn't last long at my place.

Gary
I was looking for a ballpark time. I currently have it going for 5 hrs and doesn't look close. It's about 1/4" so figured about 8 to 10 hrs.

Curious why you decided to use cure#1 if your are smoking the jerky? I could see the need for cold smoking. 

Nice looking jerky!

Cure - will also help with shelf life- though I doubt that's ever much of an issue. It adds a little "jerky". Color to the meat as well

Question: I'm learning how to do jerky- but been a BBQ pit smoker for a very long time. Why do you start without smoke? I've seen this mentioned in a few posts?

When smoking (BBQ) meats- always start with smoke and want surface a little moist (increases smoke ring and flavor). And never add smoke past meat reaching 145-155 degrees.

I'm looking for an explanation why these "rules" don't apply to jerky? Thank you!!

Nice looking jerky!

Cure - will also help with shelf life- though I doubt that's ever much of an issue. It adds a little "jerky". Color to the meat as well

Question: I'm learning how to do jerky- but been a BBQ pit smoker for a very long time. Why do you start without smoke? I've seen this mentioned in a few posts?

When smoking (BBQ) meats- always start with smoke and want surface a little moist (increases smoke ring and flavor). And never add smoke past meat reaching 145-155 degrees.

I'm looking for an explanation why these "rules" don't apply to jerky? Thank you!!
Because you want the Pellicle (Dry & Tacky) before putting the Smoke on Jerky, Fish, Bacon, etc, etc....

That stop adding Smoke after 145°-155° is not a rule. As many others, I keep the smoke on until I remove the meat.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky