Beautiful Sunday here

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 4, 2014
Montague County, TX
Got up at 4:30, fired up the Weber kettle with a snake, got the brisket on at 6, and now i'm letting a pot of pozole finish simmering for brunch!

Pics later for sure. I may even have a video or 2.

What's everyone else got going on?

Edit to add: I have the InkBird wireless in the brisket as well. This will be the first LONG cook with it. So far so good. It's reading +/- 1 degree with the wired InkBird.

Last edited:
Well I'm here at work feeling jealous of you on this glorious Sunday morning. I guess I'll have to live vicariously through you today!

Jim

Reactions: bigfurmn
Well I'm here at work feeling jealous of you on this glorious Sunday morning. I guess I'll have to live vicariously through you today!

Jim
Well old buddy, see what I did there, it smells amazing in the shop right now and the brisket is starting to really render some fat so the spot behind the shop is REALLY smelling good. :emoji_sunglasses:

Mornin' Cranky!

Mighty pretty morning here as well. I'm piddling in the shop this morning on my current smoker build project...gonna drag one of my own kettles out this afternoon and grill some burgers.

Jim

Sorry Jim! But I hear you DO need the overtime... :emoji_wink:

Red

Well, the pozole was a hit. The bride loved it and the neighbors devoured it. Garnished with cabbage, radishes, and white onion.
Butt ugly picture, but then pozole isn't a real pretty dish.
IMG_5813.jpeg

It's a gorgeous day here as well. Heading out to a brewery for some sunshine and cold beer, then back home to spin a chicken on the weber kettle. It's gonna be a great day all around.
That does sound like a great way to spend the day
Sometimes butt ugly is best. Looks great. I've never had let alone made it. Will have to dig into that as I've never had hominy either.
Pozole is a really great soup/stew. Most people turn up their nose at hominy since they hated it as a kid. Well, more than likely mom didn't follow the 3 word guideline to hominy, RINSE, RINSE, RINSE! If you don't rinse it before adding it, you more than likely won't like the end results. If you make it, let us know how it turns out.

Pozole is a really great soup/stew. Most people turn up their nose at hominy since they hated it as a kid. Well, more than likely mom didn't follow the 3 word guideline to hominy, RINSE, RINSE, RINSE! If you don't rinse it before adding it, you more than likely won't like the end results. If you make it, let us know how it turns out.
Will do buzzard. Do you have a recipe posted?

Found this on my computer from 2020

Pozole

4- ancho chili peppers

4- guajillo chili peppers

4- pounds pork shoulder cubed

8- cups water for pork

2- cups water for steeping peppers

2- cups chicken stock

3- 15oz cans white hominy drained and rinsed well

1- large yellow onion rough chopped

7- cloves garlic peeled and rough chopped

1-TBS Mexican oregano dried

2-tsp ground cumin

2- bay leaves

Start the 2-cups of water boiling, while the water is heating, remove the stems and seeds from the peppers. After the water comes to a boil, remove from heat and add peppers to the water. Cover and let sit for at least 30 minutes.

Add the 8 cups of water to a large pot and then add the pork to the water. Toss in the bay leaves and the salt and bring to a rolling boil. Once boiling, lower heat to a slight boil and allow it to cook for about an hour. While boiling, remove the foam and scum from the top of the water with a spoon.

After the peppers have steeped for 30 minutes or so, removed them from the steeping water with a slotted spoon and place them into a blender. Reserve 1/3c of the steeping water.

Then add the onions, garlic, and oregano to the blender and pour in the 1/3c of steeping water. Blend until it’s very smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Add a little more water if needed to get the blender happy.

This next step is optional, but I pour the pepper liquid from the blender into a sieve to strain out the pepper skins and any oregano stems, you can skip this if you want.

With the pepper sauce now in a bowl, stir in the cumin and let it rest covered until your pork is ready.

Once the pork has finished cooking, remove the bay leaves and any foam that may be on top, and then stir in the chicken stock and the pepper sauce. Bring to a simmer.

While that is heating back up, open your cans of hominy and pour them into a colander. Trust me, you want to drain all of the liquid from them and then rinse the hominy VERY well. A lot of people who swear they hate hominy will like it once it’s prepared correctly.

Once rinsed, add the hominy to the pot with the pork and pepper sauce. Cover and let simmer for at least another hour stirring now and then.

When you serve the pozole you can have chopped onions, sliced radishes, chopped jalapeño, and shredded cabbage as a garnish if you want. I just go with it straight from the pot.

Got questions, give me a shout.

OMG. That is awesome. Thanks so much!!!!! Just watched your garlic bomb vid too. More things to add to The SMF list, lol

It's pretty nice here, but I've been laid up with a foot injury since last Tuesday. Really jealous right about now lol 😂, lookin good

Reactions: JLeonard
OMG. That is awesome. Thanks so much!!!!! Just watched your garlic bomb vid too. More things to add to The SMF list, lol
Those garlic bombs are great! An Australian friend turned me onto them and I love them. But, as the Aussie told me, you have to eat them with dead horse (ketchup).

Reactions: JLeonard
Beautiful Sunday here in Minnesota also. Started out the morning going to church and watching my little guy sing a few songs. Then it was off to work and hopefully some dinner outside tonight once we get things closed up here. Food looks amazing Cranky. Keep it it. I love seeing what you crank out here.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky