Basic Pulled Pork Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Complete beginner here. I followed these directions on my crappy Brinkman cheapo smoker yesterday. Could only get the butt to 162 degrees so I foiled it. Put it in the 250 degee oven till it got to 200, wrapped it in the towels and into the cooler. Time was working against me and I had to pull it a little earlier than I wanted, 45 minutes in the cooler. However it was still the best pulled pork I've made thus far. A couple of things I see already. I have a long ways to go and I need a better smoker. :)

axe - i hear talk of this thing called "the plateau;" it's possible you ran into that?

to all - i will be doing my first (bone-in picnic) pork shoulder either this weekend or next. i intend to follow meowy's instructions except for one critical thing: my wife will kill me if i spend money on a bottle of captain morgan's spiced rum. the killing will come partially as a result of the expense and partially because of spending money on booze, even if for non-boozing purposes.

any suggestons for a good substitute? we do have some cella lambrusco wine and also some wild cherry brandy at home and if necessary i might be able to raid my parents' stash of booze.

I never spritz with anything other than low pulp orange juice or if in a pinch, apple juice. I read recently about cherry juice which sounds real good and I will try. The "adult beverages" are best utilized in my glass.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

With Pork I like O.J. sometimes Applejuice mixed with Apple Cider. I never use an Adult Bev. That is for me.

When I do wet mop, I mop every hr. I start after 2 hrs or so so my rub has time to sink in so I don't mop off the rub.

When I mop I also will flip the butt.

This is just what I do...

Mike

Some of us think the booze helps with the bark. I think a good combo would be the cherry brandy mixed with cherry juice. I'd do 3 parts juice to 1 part brandy

Got my first butt slathered then rubbed with my sweet and spicy rub. Wrapped and in the fridge for tomorrow's smoke. Great tutorial post!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Hey Meowey, Glad to see you are still using the Captain Morgans spiced rum...I like it over Jack Daniels...You need to make your meat loaf receipe a sticky.. Steve Walker
Arkansas

Good to see you on the forum. Ever since you suggested using Captain (and I did a blind taste test with the family), I have used it almost without exception. Great idea!

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

(I need to make that meat loaf soon. Thanks for reminding me)

Well I was thinking that and perhaps that's what was taking place...however even after almost three hours of hitting the 162 degree temp, never getting above...I had to move things along if you will. Might have been the plateau or my crappy smoker...LOL. Still my best pulled pork to date. BTW...it was a boneless boston butt.

I have my first 2 bone-in shoulders in the smoker as I am typing this. Used your tutorial, looks good so far thanks for posting detailed instructions.

Directions seem straight forward, and I have smoked a few before with good results in my electric smoker. Nice smokey aroma and flavor, very tasty. I never thought to use rum (or any alcohol for that matter) as part of my basting/spraying. I will definitely try that.

My only question : I always thought you put the fat side up so it would act as a form of self basting as the fat melts away and runs down the meat? Is it wrong to do this?

Thanks,
Eric

Eric some do fat cap up some do it down and some score the fat cap with a knife and then do them cap up. Play around and see which way you like best

Thanks!! It is great to read all the posts. Everyone has their own way of doing things, being new to this, I often question if I am doing something wrong.

Can't wait to post my first Qpics!!! Hoping the weather looks good next weekend.

i am doing 4 pork sholders for my daughters graduation but iam doing them on thursday and the party is sat. here in lies the question do i freeze for two days or will it keep until sat in the fridge? thanks in advance.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky