Barn tear down...Shed build pics.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Finally finished with the barn tear down this weekend. $7,500 in material there. Then we were also told we could have the tin roofing and wood off the porch cover on the building next to it...200' of porch covering with 12' tin and 14' rafters! Hell yeah! That's another $2,500 right there. Got (96) 2x6's ranging from 11.5'-13' long....all in excellent condition. Also have a bunch of 2x4's of various lengths 6-16' long. And woulda got more but ran out of daylight. Today was the last day we had access to it as the national guard is starting a training/tear down in the morning. Have enough to build a 14'x16'x10' tall storage shed...and all the shelving inside! So Awesome! Been wanting to replace my shed that a tree fell on during a hurricane. Lucked up and fell into this deal for free material so it will only cost me 1/4 of all new construction.

Today the 20' trailer is full...stack of material 4-5ft. high. Will be pulling nails and stacking this week, then the build can start!

Last edited:
We went priority with the demo...what was fastest and easy. Used a chain saw and rough cut to get it on the trailer. Still have nails to pull.....being the last day we had access and all....

Eventually I will build a covered smoke area (10' ceiling for good draft) next to the shed with outdoor sink/counter area and a slab...6' wide X 16' long. Put an outdoor fridge there too....place to hang out while I smoke meat.

Reactions: JLeonard
Good deal nice way to get materials

The price of lumber nowdays...I wouldn't get rid of anything!

Nice Keith, you scored a chunk of change today. A kid can back out and pull nails, standard work for an apprentice on a remodel. Wear gloves, your hands most likely aren't ready for what comes when you do this for a living. Stack the lumber neatly and don't have areas where you've got used lumber with nails sticking out and up, your feet will find them. Have a very sharp and fine pair of tweezers in your toolbox, and a sturdy needle, those and a sheetrock knife should be all you need for pulling slivers. RAY

SCORE-SCORE-SCORE!!!

I'm using the lumber from the firewood rack I tore down to build roll-around carts for my table saw, miter saw, routing table, and drill press. So far, the only things I've had to buy are the casters and, of course, fasteners (ugh...expensive little buggers!).

Small potatoes, I know, but I H-A-T-E wasting perfectly good wood!

Got all the nails pulled and ends squared up with a skill saw. Neatly stacked on cribbing in the driveway. Get started building this weekend. Will only need to buy treated boards for the floor joists and the 3/4" plywood decking. Along with new tin for the roof, and all the fasteners. Gonna be $1200-1500 but that is better than buying all the material!

Will only need to buy treated boards for the floor joists and the 3/4" plywood decking.
Are you constructing on grade ? Would be an added cost , but vapor barrier and 1 inch minus would be worth it in my opinion . Depends on how close to the ground you are .
Maybe you're using treated for insects , or local code .
Check your span rating on the sheet goods , and make sure it matches the framing . Better yet figure out the sub floor before you install the joist .
Install with the stamp visible ( on the slim chance you pulled a permit ) , but repetition makes good habits .
I'm sure you know most of this , but never hurts to state the obvious when doing these things .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky