Barbacoa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JBCWCHS06

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 30, 2022
Long time no post have been trying to wing alot of my smokes and been a bit busy with trying to post my smoking stuff on my Instagram page but figured this would be the best place to ask this question. Have my birthday coming up this weekend and really wanted to smoke something new so was going to make barbacoa using a method I've seen from Leroy and Lewis along with Chuds BBQ. In there process you smoke the beef cheeks for a couple of hours to give them that smokey flavor and a bark then you confit them over night. Still wanna try that technique but can't find beef cheeks anywhere and the party is this weekend. Would a chuck roast work with that same method or is there a cut of meat that would work with that method better. Kind of disappointed I couldn't find beef cheeks anywhere but looking for an alternative.

Reactions: JLeonard
Long time no post have been trying to wing alot of my smokes and been a bit busy with trying to post my smoking stuff on my Instagram page but figured this would be the best place to ask this question. Have my birthday coming up this weekend and really wanted to smoke something new so was going to make barbacoa using a method I've seen from Leroy and Lewis along with Chuds BBQ. In there process you smoke the beef cheeks for a couple of hours to give them that smokey flavor and a bark then you confit them over night. Still wanna try that technique but can't find beef cheeks anywhere and the party is this weekend. Would a chuck roast work with that same method or is there a cut of meat that would work with that method better. Kind of disappointed I couldn't find beef cheeks anywhere but looking for an alternative.
Love barbacoa! I grew up in west tx where it was a staple. Cheek meat is the absolute preferred cut of meat. The greasy final product is unmatched and true barbacoa. I have seen Chuck roasts used in place but the final product is just lacking in my opinion. The texture and taste just isn’t the same. Cheek meat has such a unique flavor profile that it screams breakfast burrito/taco to me! Good luck with the cook.

Fred

Look for beef cheeks at a Mexican meat market, aka Carniceria.
Places with a decent Hispanic population the Walmart will usually have them.

No need to confit overnight for awesome Barbacoa.

Goat here,

Beef Cheeks here,

Last edited:
Well if goat works deer will be a close match, um you all got me thinking now lol, never done cheeks before as I rarely see them. after hunting season I will have more time to devote to smoking/cooking I hope

Reactions: chilerelleno
Well if goat works deer will be a close match, um you all got me thinking now lol, never done cheeks before as I rarely see them. after hunting season I will have more time to devote to smoking/cooking I hope
Works best with the deer's shanks, just like an Osso Bucco.
Do it just like the Goat.

Lamb is another option for barbacoa, and 'lamb breast' will give you some really good pulled meat.
vrIKjGj.jpg

Dkcl6YA.jpg

Well after finally looking around again at some Mexican markets I finally stumbled upon some beef cheeks. Don't know why so many places either didn't have them or were sold out of them of they did have them but I'm so excited to try this now. Anyone have a suggestion on a run the video I watched just did Salt and Pepper but think I want a bit more then that.

Well after finally looking around again at some Mexican markets I finally stumbled upon some beef cheeks. Don't know why so many places either didn't have them or were sold out of them of they did have them but I'm so excited to try this now. Anyone have a suggestion on a run the video I watched just did Salt and Pepper but think I want a bit more than that.
Glad you found some! Salt, Pepper, garlic, is the norm. Let us know how it turns out. Back when I was a kid my grandparents neighbor would cook this underground in his back yard. The difference? They cooked the entire cows head or entire baby goats. Wild stuff but the food was delicious. I can remember eating barbacoa or cabrito and washing it down with a big red soda!

Reactions: thirdeye
Glad you found some! Salt, Pepper, garlic, is the norm. Let us know how it turns out. Back when I was a kid my grandparents neighbor would cook this underground in his back yard. The difference? They cooked the entire cows head or entire baby goats. Wild stuff but the food was delicious. I can remember eating barbacoa or cabrito and washing it down with a big red soda!
Alright then will definitely post the results. Might go with the SPG rub on it but might add a little chili powder and cumin just to get a very feint taste of it and spice of it. Funny enough one of the markets I went to didn't have cheeks but had the whole head but have no idea how to tackle that beast. Having that and some pulled chicken as well can't wait the cook and process of preparing the food gets me just as excited as eating the food.

I think you gotta use some chile peppers for barbacoa (guajillo, ancho, etc). And I believe it's either steam-roasted in a pit (even aluminum foil works) or braised in CI pot. Of course you can smoke beef cheeks, which can be good on its own, but I don't know about barbacoa.

Well after finally looking around again at some Mexican markets I finally stumbled upon some beef cheeks. Don't know why so many places either didn't have them or were sold out of them of they did have them but I'm so excited to try this now. Anyone have a suggestion on a run the video I watched just did Salt and Pepper but think I want a bit more then that.
My Sam's Cub store has them, they are either 4 or 6 to a package. Theirs need a little pre-trimming but totally worth the time.

I think you gotta use some chile peppers for barbacoa (guajillo, ancho, etc). And I believe it's either steam-roasted in a pit (even aluminum foil works) or braised in CI pot. Of course you can smoke beef cheeks, which can be good on its own, but I don't know about barbacoa.
After smoking I do a braise in a semi-spicy liquid, then cook it down.
X5oml5e.jpg

nUGg1x9.jpg

Going to give this a try. Trying the Leroy and Lewis/Chuds BBQ version of Barbacoa but putting my own spins on it. Got the beef checks out of the package, patted dry and coated in a rub with black pepper, salt, chipotle chili powder, oregano, smoked paprika, garlic powder and onion powder. Now smoking for 4 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_20230901_184438970_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230901_184438970_HDR.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20230901_184057894.jpg
    IMG_20230901_184057894.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 11
Now after a 4 hour smoke the aroma coming off of these cheeks are amazing and into the crockpot with some peppers, onion and a couple scoops of beef tallow. Now set to low until I wake up in the morning. Also have some chicken sitting in a Spicy Honey Lime marinade to throw on the smoker in the morning for some pulled chicken too. Tacos and Nachos, Football a long weekend and my birthday doesn't get much better.

Attachments

• IMG_20230901_230851026_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230901_230851026_HDR.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20230902_000109287.jpg
    IMG_20230902_000109287.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: chopsaw
That plate looks fantastic !

I'm headed in that direction too . but was thinking BBQ with some slaw . You just might have a better idea flavor wise .
Yeah made like a paste with Lime Juice, Honey, Olive Oil, Salt, Pepper, Chili Powder, Cumin, Paprika and rubbed it on and let sit over night about to throw it on the smoker now.

Reactions: chopsaw
Oh my goodness. Drained all that fat off of it this morning and shredded it with a hand mixer and honestly it's the one of the most satisfying bits of BBQ I've had in a long time. Was totally worth getting the beef cheeks for this and will definitely be making the Barbacoa again and might even try sliced beef cheeks as well.

Attachments

• IMG_20230902_104630565.jpg
    IMG_20230902_104630565.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230902_104706592_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230902_104706592_HDR.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 10
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky