Bacon, Step by Step Video

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have thoroughly enjoyed following your instructions. My bacon just hit 140 IT on second smoke. Gonna set it out to cool and put in fridge over night. Thank you

My first bacon.

Attachments

• 87F384CA-3EBF-4136-B9CF-567DF2DACCEC.jpeg
    87F384CA-3EBF-4136-B9CF-567DF2DACCEC.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: disco
My first bacon.
Nice job on the bacon! Great colour! Please post the sliced shots when you get around to it! Also, you need to do your own post on making bacon. We all do it a little different in different rigs. It is nice to learn from others efforts!

Disco,I'm curing my first batch of bacon right now following your instructions on here,I should be ready to go by next Friday.Hoping it turns out looking like yours.

Thank you for posting and sharing your experience. Very helpful! I am out of bacon at the moment and have had a chance to get to Costco for a slab.

Finally hot smoking the belly today (feels like it's been in the fridge forever!) and wondering how long it usually takes you to get to an IT of 130F.

Also when left in the fridge over night before slicing, do you leave it unwrapped?

Thanks!

The length varies depending on the thickness of your pork and your smoking unit. I usually get it there in 4 to 6 hours.

I let it cool to room temperature and wrap when letting it sit overnight.

Reactions: Omnivore
Finally hot smoking the belly today (feels like it's been in the fridge forever!) and wondering how long it usually takes you to get to an IT of 130F.

Also when left in the fridge over night before slicing, do you leave it unwrapped?

Thanks!

I have to add to Disco's answer:
I used to put my Smoked Bacon in my Basement Meat Fridge "Uncovered" until slicing time.
However since I got rid of that Fridge, when I put the Smoked Bacon in "Our" Kitchen Fridge, I cover it with plastic wrap until slicing time, so I don't get yelled at for making the whole Fridge smell like Hickory Smoke.

Bear

Reactions: Omnivore
I have to add to Disco's answer:
I used to put my Smoked Bacon in my Basement Meat Fridge "Uncovered" until slicing time.
However since I got rid of that Fridge, when I put the Smoked Bacon in "Our" Kitchen Fridge, I cover it with plastic wrap until slicing time, so I don't get yelled at for making the whole Fridge smell like Hickory Smoke.

Bear

I have an extra fridge in the basement for curing fish, dry brining roasts, and of course beer. No complaints from the husband so far :)

I have an extra fridge in the basement for curing fish, dry brining roasts, and of course beer. No complaints from the husband so far :)

LOL---That's because Husbands don't usually have a problem with Smoke, like most Wives do.

Bear

Excellent guide and video. Very well explained. Thank you.

I just picked up a 4kg pork loin and will use your method tomorrow.

Would you suggest I cut the loin into 4 x 1 kg pieces?

The only reason to cut the bacon is so it will fit in whatever you are curing them in. If you are using Ziploc bags, cut them so they will fit. If you are using vacuum sealer bags cut them in lengths that are convenient to them. So, short answer, cut it to sizes that are convenient for you and your curing container.

Reactions: Jabiru

Like Disco said, cut the pieces to the size that works best for you, as far as fitting in your Bags.
I don't think Disco will mind if I add that I sometimes choose the size pieces, by the size of my Smoking Racks, and then adjust the Bag size to them.

I other words, I cut them so I can get as much as I can on each rack (Allowing for air flow), so I don't end up with big spaces on the Smoking racks, and 2 pieces of Belly that won't fit in my smoker.

Bear

Reactions: Jabiru
Like Disco said, cut the pieces to the size that works best for you, as far as fitting in your Bags.
I don't think Disco will mind if I add that I sometimes choose the size pieces, by the size of my Smoking Racks, and then adjust the Bag size to them.

I other words, I cut them so I can get as much as I can on each rack (Allowing for air flow), so I don't end up with big spaces on the Smoking racks, and 2 pieces of Belly that won't fit in my smoker.

Bear
Mind? Har! You need to know that Bear was the guy I looked to when I started making bacon. We all appreciate and seek his wisdom!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky