ANY YODER YS640S OWNERS OUT THERE? NEED OPINION.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oonighttrain

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
I have had a GMG daniel boone for about 3 weeks now with nothing but issues.. it will be going back... any opinions good or bad on a yoder ys640s ?

I've had one since Feb 2013, only replaced the ignitor to date. Very happy with it, used it both for smoking and grilling. Some quirks but once you figure it out works great. Built like a tank!

Reactions: texomakid
I've had one since Feb 2013, only replaced the ignitor to date. Very happy with it, used it both for smoking and grilling. Some quirks but once you figure it out works great. Built like a tank!

cool.. have you had any problems with it holding the set temperature (fluctuations)?

Not an S model but have had mine for about a year. No prolems or need to replace parts yet. Good dependable cooker for smoking, grillings and searing. Minor temp fluctuations only (10-20 degrees) once it has warmed up and settled down 20-30 minutes. Only problems I have had is not watching the pellet level and running out (my own dumba**ness):emoji_wink: Get the 2 piece diffuser plate and the GrillGrates and your good to go.
Looking forward to checking out the retro kit to wifi later this year.

Not an S model but will be doing upgrade when available. Love it but the S would be even “more better”...solid build, integrated quality probes with fireboaard not some cheap ones that aren’t accurate, WiFi control, ceramic igniter.

It’s like they combined the best of Yoder and Rec Tec into one....

This is about the perfect way to describe my experience as well - over 1 year & no issues. I know they're expensive on a relative scale of all pellet cookers but I think I read the remark "buy once, cry once"? I got no regrets so far.

thanks for the info! i just returned my GMG this morning so, im doing some serious research on a new one.. the GMG was nothing but issues, i just dont want to go through that again..

Sounds like its been a bad experience for you, which sux, the grill must have been the last one made on a Friday or something.

I haven't had any issues, my father & brother also bought one each and same experience as me. I really like to cook with it and super happy with the purchase, I use it three or four times a week.

Sounds like its been a bad experience for you, which sux, the grill must have been the last one made on a Friday or something.

I haven't had any issues, my father & brother also bought one each and same experience as me. I really like to cook with it and super happy with the purchase, I use it three or four times a week.

yea, it sucked.. really aggravated the he(( out of me... now im on the search for one that will work like its supposed to..

My YS480s on the Competition Cart is going to be here Wednesday!
This will be my first Yoder, I have been a Traeger user for many years, had 2 of them, and a GMG Daniel Boon user the past couple years due to necessity.
The Daniel Boon was mostly for camping (12v DC)
I lost all my Traegers in the Tubbs fire of 2017, along with everything else.
So I decided, to treat myself to a real quality, Made in the USA replacement.
Costs a pretty penny so I hope it is all it is cracked up to be.

You will be so happy I bet. Mine is great (not an S model) If your ikno is a picture of the one coming it is the same as my cart, black.

you all getting kick back from Grilla every time somebody asks about another brand here comes the pitch to ckem out lmao,gets old folks stomping all the different brands without ever owning 1 ymmv

Hey YoderGuy, did your black ys640s show up? How are you liking it?

Darqman,
I did get my YS480s, used it half a dozen times or so before taking off on vacation to the Sierra's, and it is too heavy to take with me...
I am pleased so far, love the controller, with the two probes, and the WiFi capability, app works OK, I think it could be better, but all end users think every app needs improvement.
I have not done a long smoke yet, mostly quick cooks, steaks, a marinated Costco spatchcock chicken, a few pork chops, all turned out great, wife was happy with the flavor so that is the main test.
I have one issue with the fit of the bottom grates, all fit nicely, until it heats up to 350 and then one of them POPS up after it has expanded and then rests on top of the other. Made us Jump the first time it happened...

YoderGuy,

Thanks for the feedback. I have the exact same cooker (black on comp cart) arriving tomorrow.

I'm sorry to hear about the bottom grates. Is it the stock Yoder grates or the direct grilling Grill Grates that do this? I bet if you contacted them they would do everything they can to fix it.

I'll report on whether mine does that once I have a chance to do a few cooks.

I'd say it may not be the best pellet grill you can buy but it is likely the best value pellet grill you can buy.

Nice opinion, and make no mistake, as other opinions in here go, I respect it. But that's all that it is, an opinion.

And more importantly, as just that, it is worth exactly what anyone in here paid for it.

However, here's mine, and what it is worth it to me. And coincidentally, it carries the same price tag amongst other opinions in here, as did yours:

That part in bold above. Not by a long shot. Not by a mile.

Rec Tec is by far the best "value" pellet grill that I can buy.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky