any idea what this is?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dkellogg3

Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
Hey all,

Taking a bunch of trees down, and a few of them have leaves as shown in the attached picture. any idea what they are?
kVGzx1P

Thx!

Yes, about ping pong ball sized green nuts.

That one still standing is about 40' tall. yay free wood!

It is HICKORY. Could be any of several species, if that makes any difference. If you could tell us where you live, we may be able to narrow the choice of identification.

Yea that looks like hickory to me too. I had an agriculture teacher tell me once that if you think a tree is Hickory try to push your thumbnail into the bark. If it don't go and its hard a heck than that's probably hickory. let is dry for 6 months and you will have great smoking wood!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

It is HICKORY. Could be any of several species, if that makes any difference. If you could tell us where you live, we may be able to narrow the choice of identification.

I'm just north of Danbury, CT. curious which species, and whether it matters much w/r/t flavor profile.

Thanks everyone!

Don

I"m 90% sure it's Carya glabra, or pignut hickory. It's among the most common trees of CT. I doubt if there is any detectable or measurable difference in flavor between the various species of hickory. They're all good for smoking meat. A bloodhound might be able to detect the difference, but not humans. :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky