Another 19 hour smoke-WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yankee2bbq

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 7, 2017
Northern Arkansas-Banjo Land
C443960C-F9B1-42B6-935F-773995847597.jpeg
F2B95710-1BE5-4C22-9883-0D972813EEFB.jpeg
19 hours total for this 8lb Boston butt. Injected with cherry juice. Dark brown sugar butt rub and smoker temp running 220-225.
Thanks for looking.

Very nice! You gonna show us pics pulled and plated/sammied?
That was a stubborn one at 19 hrs...What was the IT?

Bill

Very nice! You gonna show us pics pulled and plated/sammied?
That was a stubborn one at 19 hrs...What was the IT?

Bill

Got a picture coming for you. I pulled it off at IT 191.

Nice! How long did your coals last?

I full bag of royal oak lasted 14 hours. Added a full chimney and a half of unlit coals. Had to stir the coals around a few times during the smoke to get rid of ash build up. I’m thinking the expanded metal grate I added is not helping.

How did the bark taste?

Awesome! Mopped with a apple cider/ apple juice and lemon slice last 4 hours.

I think he's passed out from staying up for the cook:D
Yes. I’m tired. Thinking about upping my smoker temp to 250 next time.

I've never tried injecting with cherry juice. How'd it turn out??
Gary
Honestly, I couldn’t tell the difference between my apple juice injection and cherry.

Looks nice ... points to you .. next sammie, put your pulled pork on bun, then bbq sauce , then a nice heaping tablespoon of that slaw on top and eat it the southern way ... that's how we roll here in Fla.

Looks nice ... points to you .. next sammie, put your pulled pork on bun, then bbq sauce , then a nice heaping tablespoon of that slaw on top and eat it the southern way ... that's how we roll here in Fla.

Actually, I usually do, but when I went to make my plate, the vinegar based slaw was already gone!

Tasty looking pork,you can definitely crank the temp next cook some go 300+.

Points for that nice looking pork and Sammies..
IMG_20171019_093409.png

Strange though...

I did a 9.55 pounder bone in yesterday.
It went about 7.5 hours at 230-235. Then a couple hours in the oven 275 . Wonder why yours took 8 hours longer?
Actually 10.5 hours longer. Mine was done and in the cooler after 9.5 hours.

Last edited:
I don’t know why it took so long. I didn’t use my bbq guru, so the temp was fluctuating from 218-230. I use my thermpro for temp at the cook grate. I’m thinking, because I went to bed at the ten hour mark, woke up at the 18 hour mark the temp of my smoker was 218. Who knows how long it was at 218. When I went to bed it was running 225ish.

That is some great looking PP! I've had 10lb butts take 24 hrs on the WSM at 225-250. You pulled it off at 191, it could take quite a few more hrs at 220 to get to 202-205. I've been there plenty. Now I smoke between 250 and 275 and thing go a bit smoother.

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky