Air tight pellet storage - Gamma 2 screw-down lids leak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

diversification

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 19, 2021
Hi all, does anyone have a method of storing pellets that's 100% air and water tight? I recently grabbed a few food safe 5 gallon buckets and Gamma2 twist-down lids from Tractor Supply. They have two gaskets and are supposed to be completely leak proof and air tight. I did a quick water test and mine leaked exactly the same way as in the video, below. Notably, I tested with various amounts of water, and even the smaller amounts (less than a gallon) still leaked. This indicates to me that these lids are definitely NOT air tight.

Does anyone have any solutions around 5 gallons (give or take a bit) that are air tight / leak proof? I just want to make sure I'm storing my pellets in such a way that they're completely protected.

Video showing the leaking -->

PS. There's a website listed right on the Gamma2 lids, and if you visit it, that website is corrupted. Additionally, there are reports / reviews indicating that the older version of these lids used to actually be much better. Based on both of these things, I am guessing the Gamma 2 company was sold, and the new manufacturer cut costs to try and improve the margins, and abandoned the website but failed to remove it from the label.

Last edited:
I have had some in a screw type lid that was out of the weather but after a year in the bucket they are breaking down, I suspect sunlite/heat /time is the culprit. keep them under a roof and out of direct sunlite and don't worry about if it leaks water imo

Reactions: diversification
I have had some in a screw type lid that was out of the weather but after a year in the bucket they are breaking down, I suspect sunlite/heat /time is the culprit. keep them under a roof and out of direct sunlite and don't worry about if it leaks water imo

If you're not worried about he lids being air tight does that mean you're not really worried about humidity, so long as the pellets are not directly rained on? It was my understanding that avoiding humidity was extremely important.

I keep the bulk of mine in a shed in the original bags which have small holes in them. I have a few bags that are several years old and I've never had a problem with moisture. For my working quantity, I keep in Weber charcoal storage dispenser on my deck These are not water proof or airtight and again, no problems.

I keep the bulk of mine in a shed in the original bags which have small holes in them. I have a few bags that are several years old and I've never had a problem with moisture. For my working quantity, I keep in Weber charcoal storage dispenser on my deck These are not water proof or airtight and again, no problems.

Thank you bregent. Based on your response and Mike's, it sounds like what I have will still do the trick even if they aren't perfectly air-tight then, so long as they're kept either in my garage or basement.

I agree with bregent, I keep mine in the original bags stacked in my garage and have never had any problems. I think the moisture situation is a little overblown with good quality pellets. I don't empty the hopper in my Timberline 1300 between cooks and with 3 grills and a griddle, it can be a long time between cooks on the 1300. The grill just sits on my open deck, under the Traeger cover and I have never had any problems with moisture in the pellets.

I have similar, if not exactly the same pails as in the video, bought at Menards. They stay in a dry shed, never had any issues.

I went ahead and filled them. A shame they decreased the quality to where their claims are now false, but it seems like it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Been putting my pellets in Kingsford charcoal holders for years. Never had a problem. They hold 40 lbs of pellets.
There is a smaller version with a spout specifically designed for pellets but it only holds 20 lbs.

100% air tight is overkill IMO. I have left pellets in bags in my garage for over a year and during the winter the cars are covered in snow and soak the floor for days/weeks at a time. Pellets have never been affected. I have used the Gamma lids and they are handy for sure. But I switched to 20LB Lumberjack bags and no longer need use them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky