Habanero / Scorpion Ferment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
It's been awhile since I've started any new batches. I'm getting low on amy processed sauces so time to get in gear. This early in Ohio it's still commercially secured peppers. Grabbed about 3 lbs of habanero at Kroger. Sometimes they are huge and likely much less spicy hybrids. These are pretty hot.
PXL_20230618_115044903-01.jpeg
I have had these dehydrated scorpions I got on eBay for awhile. Time to put them to use.
PXL_20230618_114815775-01.jpeg
Before I start prepping the peppers I put all the jars ,airlocks etc into a steramine bath. I've found I get far less Kahm yeast since I started doing this.
PXL_20230618_114800322-01.jpeg
I stem and halve the peppers. I'm careful to remove any black seed cores and throw out any peppers that may have some spoilage. Always seems to be a fair amount regardless of where I buy. Into the jar with a 3.5% sea salt and distilled water brine. Two viscodiscs and a glass weight in each half gallon mason jar. I use a small sieve strainer spoon to remove as many seed floaters as possible. Airlock filled with white vinegar. These will go 3-4 weeks if they get a good fast ferment going.
PXL_20230618_131058183-01.jpeg
Hoping that next batches will be from my own little pepper farm! Here is a little update video on it. Plants are finally starting to grow upwards. Herbs are going nuts. The ghost, red habanero's , chocolate habanero and scorpions have all grown a lot since we got some sustained rain. Tomatoes as well. Not sure what flavor profile Iay go with when processing. My fav is just a little garlic for a true pepper flavor sauce. That said so many folks that get my sauces like other variants. Thanks for looking!

I bought some airlock lids and glass weights a while back with every intention of making sauerkraut, but I've yet to do that. This looks interesting. I'm along for the ride.

Question... is the 3.5% brine a percentage of just the water weight?

Reactions: jcam222
I bought some airlock lids and glass weights a while back with every intention of making sauerkraut, but I've yet to do that. This looks interesting. I'm along for the ride.

Question... is the 3.5% brine a percentage of just the water weight?
Yes. Lots of debate out there on it but that's the method I use and it works well. Nice quick guide here no
4012185_orig.jpg

Canning is something I have not tried. Very nice!
I use fermentation traps as well, but for my bread proofing containers.

Canning is something I have not tried. Very nice!
I use fermentation traps as well, but for my bread proofing containers.
No canning with this although canning is on my retirement list. This ferment will get blended after and with a ph usually of 3.2 or less virtually shelf stable. I still refrigerate too.

Looks like your off to a good start Jeff. I'm all in for the ride.

Chris

Looks good Jeff, want to do this as well, I have Buht joka, Jay’s Peach Ghost Scorpion, Naga Brain Chocolate. Do you just blend it all when done or add more ingredients?

Awesome thread! Thanks for posting! I need to get back to fermenting hot sauces....but been spending too much time making fermented meats.

Can you tell me more about those plastic things you are using to hold the peppers down? Got a link?

Awesome thread! Thanks for posting! I need to get back to fermenting hot sauces....but been spending too much time making fermented meats.

Can you tell me more about those plastic things you are using to hold the peppers down? Got a link?
I love those! Little pricey but make life very easy keeping things below brine. ViscoDisc Canning Buddies- Wide Mouth Mason Jar Canning Inserts, 12pk- Helps Keep Your Pickled Fruits and Veggies Submerged Under the Brine While Fermenting. No More Spoilage! https://a.co/d/773CuVi

Reactions: indaswamp
Looks like your off to a good start Jeff. I'm all in for the ride.

Chris
Thanks! I'll post up once it's processed as well.
Looks good Jeff, want to do this as well, I have Buht joka, Jay’s Peach Ghost Scorpion, Naga Brain Chocolate. Do you just blend it all when done or add more ingredients?
I do anything from just peppers, brine and a touchdown of vinegar to more exotic blends with spices and fruit juice or flavor. I've posted many of them in the pepper forum.
Looks good Jeff,
all peppers are very pricy around here , thats why I am trying to find some already potted starter plants.

David
I got my small plants in the ground Memorial Day weekend. With the long growing cycle of hot peppers I hope to get at least a month and a half of harvest into fall. I'm considering an indoor grow tent to start much earlier next year.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Thanks , this interests me a lot.

Last time I looked at Habaneros at the grocery, they were $6 a pound, wow.
Kroger has been $3.99 for a few weeks. I lucked out on these too. The cashier couldn't find the code so he rang them up as jalapeno which were much cheaper. I told him and he was ok with it lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky