First ferment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JLeonard

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2020
Southaven, MS
Alrighty hot sauce makers, Steve H Steve H , jcam222 jcam222 and others….. check my process let me know where I mess up thus far.
IMG_1456.jpeg
Approx 1 lbs of habaneros. Funny thing, I just got a pound of them. Got to the register, checker asked how many I had. I said I don’t know, a pound. He said, “ well they are .17/each or 6 for a dollar. Looks like you got 10.” I said ok.
IMG_1458.jpeg
Destemmed and sliced. Mixed in some sweet mini peppers I had left from a cook the other day.
IMG_1459.jpeg
Washed and soaked the jars, weights, and airlocks in the steramine tabs and hot water while I was slicing the peppers.
IMG_1455.jpeg
Measured out 33 grams of salt
IMG_1457.jpeg
Packed the peppers into the jars to the shoulders. Used wide slices of the mini peppers under the glass weights to keep everything down. Then filled the jar with the brine just to the top of the weights. Lids and air locks on. Now I guess we wait 3 weeks to see how it turns out. I know this is a long post with a lot of pics. But first time for me doing this. Looking for critique and suggestions.
IMG_1460.jpeg

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited:
So I am confused...
how is the brine pH3.5 at the time of filling the jars before fermentation starts? Did you add vinegar to the brine prior to fermentation?
For peppers you want a 3.5 % water/salt mixture. 33 grams of salt to a quart of water gives you this.
No vinegar is added until after the ferment is completed if it is required to adjust for either ph. Or flavor.
Saying ph is misleading.

Reactions: JLeonard
Thanks for the link Steve. I see the page talks about percent salt in the brine but nowhere does it mention pH OF the brine relative to the amount of salt added. I am missing something here.

Reactions: JLeonard
I've never checked PH on my starting brine but as long as 33 grams of the salt was used in 4 cups distilled water all is good. I know when I rinse my meter the PH of the tap water seems to be up in the 5.7 or higher range. Jim didn't add vinegar as he and I discussed and clarified that yesterday.

Thanks for the link Steve. I see the page talks about percent salt in the brine but nowhere does it mention pH OF the brine relative to the amount of salt added. I am missing something here.
I'm thinking he put 3.5 ph vs 3.5% bc 33 grams salt with a quart of water is 3.5% salt. The water ought to be neutral/alkaline with salt vs acidic even with acidic distilled water at about 5.8 Ph.

No. You're not. Just stated wrong. At the beginning of the ferment. We're just looking at the percentage of water and salt. Not ph.

I'm thinking he put 3.5 ph vs 3.5% bc 33 grams salt with a quart of water is 3.5% salt. The water ought to be neutral/alkaline with salt vs acidic even with acidic distilled water at about 5.8 Ph.

No. You're not. Just stated wrong. At the beginning of the ferment. We're just looking at the percentage of water and salt. Not ph.

Yep my guess too
Yes, yes, and yes. Still playing with my pH meter.....Its a cheapy....I'll see how it does with this and may upgrade.

Jim

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky