A few beginner questions: Full Packer vs 2 Points, and Constant Temperature

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ReverendGamerBlues

Original poster
Jun 16, 2020
I’m new to smoking, been doing it for 6 months. I have a few questions I have not been able to find answers to elsewhere, thought I would ask here:

• Everything I read says smoke a full packer brisket. I’ve done a few of those. I have also done a few points. I like doing the points because they are done in half the time (8 hours vs 16 hours average), and fatty brisket is the best. Plus, you get more surface area to get back/smoke flavor. Why is full packer preferred over splitting it in half?
  • Every place says keep the temperature as even as possible. I’ve been doing that, but WHY? What are the effects of going back and forth between 250 and 350, besides 350 isnt low and slow? What changes to the quality of the meat if I vary the temp between 225-300 F over the cook?
Thanks!

Reactions: JC in GB
The packers I've done have always turned out much better if left full form and not split between the point and flat. The amount of fat on the point renders, runs down, and keeps the flat moist. It's pretty hard to end up with a separated flat that stays moist without a bunch of injecting and marinating for this reason.

It depends on what kind of smoker you're using as far as temperature fluctuations. Something like a stick burner is going to have much greater swings in temp than say a pellet grill or an electric smoker. It's just the nature of the beast. You don't want to be grilling, and you also don't want to be cold smoking. Temp swings are normal, but it's all about the process. If you can hold a somewhat even temperature you'll have an idea when things are done approximately.

Howdy and Welcome. Full Packers cover everyone's taste. For the Wife and I, Fattier the Beef is, the Better. My Kids? They want Beef as Lean as they can get it. Packers are often cheaper because there is very little handwork. A little trim work then wrap and box.

It's not uncommon for guy to smoke, 5-6 hours at 225, then wrap and finish in an Oven at 300+. Depending on your smoker, swinging from 225 to 300+, say 30 minutes low, 30 high, is difficult to do. Additionally, if you have Sugar in your Rub, you go from developing a nice Bark to a Burnt Crust if your temp swings much above 300°F Traditionalists like a deep Smoke Ring. Low and Slow is the only way to get there. Lots of folks want to render as much fat as possible. Again, Low and Slow is the key. Last, for some,Tending the Smoker, Managing a Fire, Tweeting the Temp and Smoke Volume, Spritzing, Mopping and turning the Meat, is a relaxing Escape. Why the Heck would we want to Rush that?!?...JJ

Not everyone splits a packer, they cook it whole. Having the point adds mass and keeping a moderate amount of fat on the outside face protects the flat. If you can buy reasonable points by all means smoke them. When trimming you can do a little fancy knife work and sort of butterfly the knobby end so it lays flatter. This will help the point cook more even.

Briskets don't like temp swings. Not sure if it's the elasticity of the strands of protein or what. So if you cook at 250° stay near that temp. Or if you like 300° do the same. The only exception I take is at the beginning of the cook. Mine go on the pit cold and with a lower pit temp for an hour. Smoke ring formation stops at 140°, so I want as much time as possible for that reaction to happen, after an hour I ramp up the pit to what ever target temp I'm cooking that day.

I have done full packers and flats. I must say that I prefer just doing the flat every time over the full packer. Maybe I didn't cook it right but I don't like the gelatinous fat in the point. Just has a bad mouthfeel to me. I can toss the points and fat trim in the sausage bin.

Chef Jimmy is right on time with his advice.

As stated above. When I do flats, they are injected or have been paced in a marinade.

My flats have always come out juicy and flavorful so if you cook them right you have no need to be intimidated.

You don't want wild temp swings as they will burn the sugar in the rub and also change the flavor of the smoke. I put a PID controller on my smoker to make sure I don't swing more than 1 degree through the entire cook. My smoker regulates tighter than my indoor oven.

JC :emoji_cat:

Lot of good info above. I’ll simply add that if i had to choose one of the two to cook solo it would be the point. It’s fattier and more forgiving. Makes awesome burnt ends or chopped / pulled beef.

I do points and packers; points when I can find them, packers when I can't or they are on sale. I don't believe I've ever done a flat on my smoker or grill. Used to do them in the oven, though. I also don't separate the point from the flat on a packer.

Smoked points are fantastic sliced, cubed, shredded, souped, and chilied. Points are my preference. They are as forgiving as a pork butt.

My smoker holds a decent temp, so my days of huge temp swings are over. Still, I'll crank up the temp at the end of a smoke, after the stall, to finish more quickly. I don't wrap and there's zero sugar in my beef rub.

I do points and packers; points when I can find them, packers when I can't or they are on sale. I don't believe I've ever done a flat on my smoker or grill. Used to do them in the oven, though. I also don't separate the point from the flat on a packer.

Smoked points are fantastic sliced, cubed, shredded, souped, and chilied. Points are my preference. They are as forgiving as a pork butt.

My smoker holds a decent temp, so my days of huge temp swings are over. Still, I'll crank up the temp at the end of a smoke, after the stall, to finish more quickly. I don't wrap and there's zero sugar in my beef rub.
Totally agree. If I had a source for points only I’d likely do that 90% of the time.

Reactions: noboundaries
There is no question the point is the best. I’ve been smoking whole brisket in my Cookshack for probably 15 years with a temperature swing of 30 degree. It’s my favorite smoker for brisket, they turn out perfect.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky