48 hr SV Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Winterrider

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 29, 2018
North Dakota
Dug out a beef roast the other day and thought I would give it the 48 hr bath.
Seasoned with SPOG and a package of Lipton Onion Soup, vac sealed and into 138° bath.
Into a screaming hot CI pan outside on the gas burner. Thing wanted to fall apart trying to turn.
20200505_165352.jpg

Made a gravey out of the juices and sliced after resting.
20200505_170313.jpg

Plated and ready to eat the most tender roast I have ever experienced.
20200505_170752.jpg

Whomever was the first to experiment with the 48 hrs, I thank you.
Only time frame I will use for roasts going forward.

Wow that looks perfect! Nice job. I've seen couple of those posts also and will try it the next time I SV a roast

Ryan

Great job. That looks like perfection.

That looks just right. The longest SV'd cook I've done was a corned beef (traditional) and a second one seasoned with pastrami rub, but no smoking step. Both were great. As a prevention, I put some vinegar in the water bath because we have hard water. My circulator was sparkly clean.

Thats a great tip! We do the same thing. No hard water residue what so ever!
I actually go one step further. I'm a home canner and my most popular jars are the 1.5 pints. Just as tall as a quart jar, but the same diameter as a pint jar. I mix a 50:50 solution of distilled water and vinegar and will run my circulator for 20 minutes in that. It's reuseable for a couple of months.

I actually go one step further. I'm a home canner and my most popular jars are the 1.5 pints. Just as tall as a quart jar, but the same diameter as a pint jar. I mix a 50:50 solution of distilled water and vinegar and will run my circulator for 20 minutes in that. It's reuseable for a couple of months.
I have a hand full of those tall jars. Might have to give that a try! Thanks for the tip!

Looks fantastic Winter ! Guess I'll have to do 48 hours next time .
Great meal you have there .
Don't see the 7 bone roast around here anymore .

Awesome looking SV Roast, Rider!!
I know how Tender it is, because I couldn't believe what my first 48 Hour Chuck Roast was like. So Freaking Good!!
Like.

Bear

Wow that looks perfect! Nice job. I've seen couple of those posts also and will try it the next time I SV a roast

Ryan
Thanks Ryan, give it a try. Awesome...
That looks awesome! You could just see the tenderness in those picture
Thanks for the like. Unreal how tender it was. Truly "fork" tender.
Great job. That looks like perfection.
Thank you, I owe it to you guys.
Man that looks soooo tender! Nice job!
Much appreciated. . .
As a prevention, I put some vinegar in the water bath because we have hard water. My circulator was sparkly clean.
Very good idea, we also have very hard water. Thanks !
WR, Looks delicious!
Thank you very much , and for the like.
Awesome looking SV Roast, Rider!!
I know how Tender it is, because I couldn't believe what my first 48 Hour Chuck Roast was like. So Freaking Good!!
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear. It may have been your trial for the 48 hrs , if so it's definitely a keeper.
Looks fantastic Winter ! Guess I'll have to do 48 hours next time .
Great meal you have there .
Don't see the 7 bone roast around here anymore .
Thanks Chop, I did the 32 hr before but this was the ticket.
Welcome to Team 48! :emoji_laughing:

Looks crazy good. LIKE
Proud to be a new player... Thanks!
Oh, man... That piece of meat looks fantastic! Wish I had it on my plate right now! :-)
Thanks, wife says best one ever.
LOVE IT! Yes I too am sold on love SV roasts! real hard to beat.
Thank you. I like the set it and forget for a couple days.
kruizer kruizer , J jaxgator , Johnny Ray Johnny Ray , Inkbirdbbq Inkbirdbbq , thank you all very much for the likes. Greatly appreciated. . .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky