3-2-1 or 2-2-1

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

billham

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 8, 2010
Narragansett R.I.
Hi again,

Not tryin to be a pain but i am doin my firsy smoke tomorrow have 3 racks of baby baks and in reading posts somr people reccomend a 2-2-1 smoke for baby backs instead of a 3-2-1 smoke. These are pretty meaty ribs and i plan on spritzing with apple juice during smoke and i have used a modified version of pops6927 carolina rub so i guess my question is 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 i do have an electric meat thermometer to check temp if this is a better way to do it well thanx yet again
Bill

My preference is the 2-2-1 method.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Baby Backs I would suggest 2-2-1

Use 2-2-1 for baby backs.

Use 3-2-1 for spares.

Don't use a thermometer to check ribs for doneness. Not enough meat to get a good reading. Use the "bend" test. Pick the rack up with tongs. If they bend to almost a 90° angle or the meat is starting to pull away from the bone, then they're done.

Good luck.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Dave

How big Is "meaty" in pounds? If they average 2 3/4 to 3 lbs 2-2-1 should be fine. I find that 2.5 lb average need a bit less time in the foil, 2-1.5-1 for times. I have a pair of 2 lb racks and I plan on doing these 2-1-1. JM2C. Are you using a liquid when you foil? How much?

The racks are approx 3lbs each so a 2-2-1 will be perfect yea i was planning on adding some apple juice to the foil was just gonna spritz some in there till it looked wet enough that i wouldnt dry completely out during this time

I would use at least 2 tablespoons of juice, 1/4 cup(4 tablespoons) is fairly standard although some don't add any liquid when they foil. Cook's choice.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky