2nd try with summer sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

firefight

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 16, 2017
I have a question I hope someone can answer. What would cause too much moisture in my sauage? On this round, when I stuffed the casings I had a large amount of water solution coming from the stuffer. Now with the sauages in the "sweat" stage.....the casings are filled with water.

Well if I had to guess, too much liquid. But with what you've posted I can only guess.

I went to drive my car today but it wouldn't. What's wrong?

Last edited:
I used dry seasoning and cure. Mixed with 25 pounds of meat and a couple cups of water. The meat sat for about 24 hours in the fridge. Toke the meat out of the fridge and proceeded to stuff. The only water added was to mix the seasoning. My 1st go around, I did the identical thing but didn't have moisture problems.

Yes same as before. 20 LB of chuck beef and 5 LB pork butt

How much water did you use?

Remember salt will cause the meat to release liquid. That with the added water will create to much liquid. Thats why you had liquid from your stuffing and now liquid between your meat and casing.

So upon further review.....I believe fat content was too high. I also believe that an extra cup of water during the mixing process added to the problem. Ill chock this up to lessons learned.

[h1]  [/h1]
texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum from a beautiful sunny day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of              great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

Did you grind chuck roasts or purchase the "TUBES" of ground chuck....   

I have noticed the "TUBES" have added water to them making the meat "wet"...   When the meat is ground at the commercial places, they "usually" add chips of ice to keep it cool..  below 40 deg. F, as the grinding process builds heat...  some tubes have less water added than others I have found...

Try buying chuck in the "day old" bin at the store.. at a discounted price....   freeze for later use...  MUCH better than the tubed stuff...

OR, try the tubes without adding extra water...   see if it will mix for you....

Last edited:
Alright guys....3 batch is in the works. So far so good. No water problems as before. I am in the 11th hour st 145 degrees. My only concern is the outside of the casings have an oily feel. I did let the meat sweat for 3 hours so not sure if its a issue or not.

145* internal meat temp or pit temp? 

If it's meat temp, what pit temp are you running at.  You want to avoid "fat out" which can happen at 180'ish.  "Fat out" in sausage is when the fat hits a temp and starts to liquefy and render out of the meat.  I try to never exceed 170, or 175* tops with sausage and usually only run at 165* top end to reach my target of 152* internal.

145 in the smoker. Meat temp at that time was around 130ish. I never exceed 170. I too try to stay around 165 tops.

Turned out fine. There is just a small amont of fat, can hardly recognize it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky